Chicken acting lethargic, puffing out feathers

Embroom

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2022
I have a black jersey giant pullet that has been acting strange. She is puffing out her feathers and only moves when I approach her. She let out a very watery, white poop earlier (it was in no way solid). When I tried to pick her up, she puked, and it was clear. I have isolated her as I can't risk any of my other birds getting sick so close to fair time. Her crop is very large and soft and squishy. Does anyone have any tips or know what's going on?

I have a black jersey giant pullet that has been acting strange. She is puffing out her feathers and only moves when I approach her. She let out a very watery, white poop earlier (it was in no way solid). When I tried to pick her up, she puked, and it was clear. I have isolated her as I can't risk any of my other birds getting sick so close to fair time. Her crop is very large and soft and squishy. Does anyone have any tips or know what's going on?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

See this article.. Crop is impacted or sour..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Question- are either contagious? Should I keep her isolated?
Impacted crop itself is not contagious. Not sure if sour crop is.. in theory some fungal stuff (yeast) could be back washing into the water and others be ingesting it..

However there are other things like Marek's which could display in such a way early on.. would be contagious.. HOWEVER.. anything she has ALL other birds have already been exposed to.

I only separate if the ill bird is being bullied because reintegration can be challenging. But she's already isolated.

If it wasn't for the puffy crop, I might also question coccidiosis as a possibility.. Only one or two of the 9-11 strains that effect poultry will show up as blood in droppings. All other will be undetectable without a microscope.

Has she laid an egg yet, what is her age?

Impacted crop itself is not contagious. Not sure if sour crop is.. in theory some fungal stuff (yeast) could be back washing into the water and others be ingesting it..

However there are other things like Marek's which could display in such a way early on.. would be contagious.. HOWEVER.. anything she has ALL other birds have already been exposed to.

I only separate if the ill bird is being bullied because reintegration can be challenging. But she's already isolated.

If it wasn't for the puffy crop, I might also question coccidiosis as a possibility.. Only one or two of the 9-11 strains that effect poultry will show up as blood in droppings. All other will be undetectable without a microscope.

Has she laid an egg yet, what is her age?
She has not laid an egg yet although some of the others in her flock haven't started laying yet either, they're aprox 5 to 5 1/2 months old

Back
Top Bottom