Chicken acting strange

I went to the vet today (couldn't wait - too worried). At her worst yesterday (about 1pm) she was standing in the rain, looking terribly sad, tail down and just looking really ..... pathetic :(
Gwen seemed to pick up a little yesterday afternoon (around 4pm), she was scratching around a bit on the coop floor, and was having a bit of a drink.
This morning, she seemed well on her way to recovery, tail up and having a good scratch around the garden. She even ate a little bit of lettuce from my hand.

The vet said she's had a "bug" - no worms/parasites etc. Not egg bound etc. He felt her crop and he said there wasn't much in it, but I don't think she's been eating much in the last few days. She still had a bit of a temperature when he saw her, so she is now on a course of antibiotic injections for the rest of the week. He thinks she is getting over whatever it was, but the fever would explain her strange behaviour. I suppose, I'm not very friendly/communicative when I feel really ill, so I shouldn't expect her to be. He was not aware of any neurological conditions that could cause the strange behaviour, especially as it seemed to fix itself. So, if Blondie is starting to feel a bit better (standing on the coop and all) perhaps she is starting to feel like her old self.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery with Blondie

Her poops are normal color but have an odd smell to them. Almost like she has been holding them in for a while. I checked her crop today and the fluid is gone and I did feel a bit of food in there. I mentioned neurological because of the way she was acting. She wouldn't walk much and was down a lot. She has done much better the past few days and I put her back in with the flock and seems to be doing fine.

Her poops are normal color but have an odd smell to them. Almost like she has been holding them in for a while. I checked her crop today and the fluid is gone and I did feel a bit of food in there. I mentioned neurological because of the way she was acting. She wouldn't walk much and was down a lot. She has done much better the past few days and I put her back in with the flock and seems to be doing fine.

Glad to hear she's on the mend. I just gave Gwen her first antibiotic injection this morning, and she seems like her old self ! xx

Thanks everyone. Her first day back with the flock was good. They didn't pick on her too bad. She still isn't eating a whole lot but hope she will tomorrow.

Prague23 so glad to hear Gwen is starting to feel better!
yippiechickie.gif

Ok so Blondie is NOT doing well again. She has lost A LOT of weight and is always shaking her head. I am stumped as to what it wrong with her. I have looked it up on every site I can think of and there is nothing that explains what her issue is. I am so sad and so are my kids. If she doesn't get better (or die) in the next week or so, I'm going to have to put her down. I can't stan to see her suffer! HELP!!!!
hit.gif

Don't put her down yet! In my opinion, you need to worm her - Valbazen now and again in 10 days. You said you hadn't seen any worms, but you won't see them until they've really taken their toll. If THAT doesn't perk her up in a few days, I'd do a 4 day round of penicillin IM as a last resort.

When I took her to the vet she didn't think she had worms either. I am going to do my best to get her better, I have been giving her Nutri-Drench via the advice of the chicken expert at my local grain store and feeding her what ever she will eat. None of my other chickens have been affected by this which also makes me think it's not worms. She also shakes her head a lot. Believe me, I do not want to put her down as she was only 1 of 2 Araucanas the breeder had that looks like her and my husband picked her because of her color. She is a very sweet girl and the only one in my flock that lays green eggs. So she is ver special to me and my family. I will do what ever I can to get her better. Thank you fo rthe adivice.
yippiechickie.gif

Just because the vet didn't think she had worms doesn't mean she don't have them. Did they check her poo to see if she had worms or are they just guessing?

Back
Top Bottom