Chicken acting strange

Momoftwo04

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 2, 2012
I have a very young (not even a year old) Araucana/Americana that has been acting very strange. She has not laid in over 5 days now, eats & drinks very little and does not move around a whole lot. I have her in a cage in my house so I can keep a closer eye on her. She is very alert, eyes are clear and bright. She responds to anyone that talks to her. All she does is lay down. Once and a while she will get up and walk around the cage but not very often. I have taken her to a vet that said she is not egg bound and felt no eggs in there what so ever. I also consulted the chicken expert at our local Blue Seal Feed store. I have given her yogurt, cooked pasta, fruit nutri-drench and electrolytes. I even ground up my layer pellets into a mash for her. Not sure what is going on with her. She isn't sneezing or making any weird noises and aside from her not moving around or eating much, she seems fine. I run out of ideas on what to do for her. Any advice would be great. (P.S. Her name is Blondie and I call her my chicken twin.)
barnie.gif
idunno.gif

No lice or mites I checke for those my self and no worms either that I could find. All my other hens are fine as well.

Ok so I think she is feeling a bit better. I went to clean her water dish and left the top of the cage open. When I came back to the cage, she was sitting on top!!!
ep.gif
She is also a bit more active and drinking more today.
yippiechickie.gif

I'm wondering if it could be some kind of neurological disorder? My friend said they had 2 chickens that had the same symptoms and thought it could have been neurological. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Sorry I can't offer any advice - but you have my sympathy
hugs.gif
I have Gwen, an Australorp, and apart from her being about 15 months old and living in Australia, your original post could have been mine ...... She's stopped laying, and is acting really odd. Very aloof, doesn't seem to be eating a huge amount, and doesn't seem interested in any of her favourite treats. Like yours, her eyes are bright, comb is a good colour, no obvious signs of mites, worms etc. I don't know what to do either .... I've just let her out to range around the garden in the rain, and she just doesn't seem that keen. Just kind of standing around ......
I'm taking Gwen to the vet on monday. The vet nurse I spoke to suggested she could be depressed
sad.png
. We have had a lot of rain for the last few weeks
hu.gif
. I'll let you know if my vet has any interesting suggestions re the neurological issue.

I hope Blondie continues to improve.

Danielle

Thnks for sharing your story Danielle. Please keep me posted on how Gwen is doing and what your vet says :)

To Seminolewind: She's not acting broody that I am awaer of. She hasn't laid in 6or so days. She is still very friendly and if I let her out of the cage I have her in, she moves about very slowly. I felt her crop yesterday and it was full of fluid. I can't feel very much food in there at all. Could she maybe have a blockage? If so, waht can I do for it?

I don't know if she has a blockage, I thought a blockage would be food-filled, not fluid filled. I'm curious, why you would mention neurological.

Do you think she looks better or worse? What color is her poop?

Back
Top Bottom