Chicken acting very strange

She was acting injured so he took her out of the coop she appeared to have several bloody scabs on her face, ears, waddle

She sits in there day and night and does not even try to move out of the crate she will stand but has a hard time balancing. All of her scabs have seem to heal, but she does this weird thing where it looks like she is pulled her neck all the way in and throws her head back

Someone suggested that it might be Merck disease. Although I do know that she was vaccinated well according to the place that I bought her. She is a year and a half and never had any issues
I agree, I would try vitamin therapy with vitamin E and B-Complex to see if that helps.

Make sure to look inside her ears for infection or mites - just in case.

Stress can be a major player in the onset of infection due to Marek's disease, so that is a very good possibility. The vaccine does not stop infection, it only helps to prevent tumor formation, so it's not uncommon at all to see vaccinated birds become symptomatic.

Thank you for your input, we have been super stressed about it. We did not want to put her down (as some had suggested) Some had said it may be Marek’s. I have verified with the feed store that she (was supposedly vaccinated) But the symptoms do look similar all though she was with 20 chickens to talk and none have symptom. They free range (and were the day she started acting strange) She did have dried blood like sores on her waddle, face, ears that day. But her coop was not severely damaged in the storm, only a minor shift of the whole coop. She does seem to be doing somewhat better, and really wants back into her coop with the others, but I was scared if it was something contagious or if they may hurt her)
She has no problems finding food and has a pretty hearty appetite. Thank you again. For your input.

I agree, I would try vitamin therapy with vitamin E and B-Complex to see if that helps.

Make sure to look inside her ears for infection or mites - just in case.

Stress can be a major player in the onset of infection due to Marek's disease, so that is a very good possibility. The vaccine does not stop infection, it only helps to prevent tumor formation, so it's not uncommon at all to see vaccinated birds become symptomatic.
Thank you, I will see if I can check her ears, not sure what to be looking for. Is there a way to know if it is Marek’s. And if so does she need to be put down. Will she pass that to the others in the flock (or would I assume they are all possibly infected but not showing symptoms)

Is she able to stand/walk/roost and eat/drink on her own? Is she well enough to defend herself or get out of the way of the other chickens?
IF you think she's recovered and can go back with the flock, then by all means start the re-integration process.

You can often make a good guess as to whether a bird is suffering from Marek's, but if you lose her, necropsy would give you confirmation.

If she is suffering from Marek's, your other birds have already been exposed. You may find this article helpful in answering some of your questions. No one can say whether to cull or not, that's up to you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

Back
Top Bottom