chicken adopted our yard

Thank you so much for the welcome & your helpful advice , I am trying my best to get it used to me, but difficult to do, I sit on the ground out their & throw food , but ugh not coming towards me, this chicken is probably about 5 yrs. old , when the neighbor got his chicks , so I dont really know how this is going to work out . I will keep it up, because I Live in Washington & I need to do something before winter comes. Again thank you

Thank you , I thought bread would be ok , but I thought wrong , I will do more of the other foods you suggested , as for the night catch she usually hides deep in the bushes or up the tree , to me the tree is funny, but I guess that makes her feel safe. Thanks again

Thank you for the help , I am hoping to get her caged asap, could take time though

I'm guessing your dog pen doesn't have a top because doxies don't climb and are not good jumpers. You will probably need some sort of cover stretched across - this girl may panic, fly out and head for the hills again. If you have a wooden or plastic crate, you could have it on it's side, with some straw or hay in it for her to use as a nest. She's probably used to something like that and it may calm her down.

I have a strong feeling she was not treated well in her original home and that has made her so spooky. If you had another chicken (borrowed or whatever) in the pen, I sure this escapee would be inclined to go visit. Chickens are flock animals and don't do well by themselves.

Hope you will be able to get her into the pen, so her life will change for the better.

Everyone has given good advice, as far as treats, try fresh or dried meal worms, fishing worms of some kind work well for taming my kids when needed. Tomatoes are a fav too but not too many the acid in them may not agree with her. I know you said she is an adult but my girls fight for chick starter grower. and you can buy small bag so when you get her caught you can get her on adult stuff.
FYI I found 7'x 100' Dear netting at TSC for 14.00 to put across the top of your pen, just in case, they have bird netting to but the Dear netting was cheaper for the amount. It keeps my flyers in no problems.
Good luck and hope you catch her, p.s. a buddy would probably help allot. Welcome to BYC
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom