Chicken alert but can't seem to walk

Vintage chic

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2016
Hi! I am new to the forum and also new raising chickens! I have 5 hens and yesterday I went not the coop and found my 28 week old black astralorp laying down kinda on her side and her legs where straight out. I picked her up and she sat but would not walk. We thought maybe she was over heated so got her cooled down and fed her water with a dropper. It didn't really seem to help much she did take some water though. She started laying about a week ago and did lay yesterday, but just where she was sitting she didn't try to go to the nesting box. Today there is not much change, she is very alert but doesn't seem to want to drink as easily as she did yesterday. It looks like she can't keep her feet straight. Can anyone help with advice on what the problem is and if there is something that I can do for her.

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Dehydration could be her problem, or she may have some temporary paralysis from laying an egg or being eggbound. But Mareks disease could also be a problem. I would start some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in her water, and try to get her to drink. Tube feeding might be something you would like to try. There is a good thread called "go team tube feeding," if you would want to search for it at the top of the page. Also you may want to search for "the big giant mareks faq."

Thank you so much for your help. I will read the threads that you suggested. I did contact the farm that I purchased my hens from and they do not vaccinate for mareks. This evening though she did eat and drink on her own. Do you know if the paralysis was due to laying an egg or being egg bound how long it would last? And you mentioned giving her poultry vitamins, can you recommend one and where I would get it.

Most feed stores carry several brands of poultry vitamins. Durvet vitamins and electrolytes, Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus, SaveAChick are all good for putting in the water. You can also use Poultry Cell vitamins directly by mouth, 1 ml for every 3 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom