Chicken and dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coffeemama, Sep 6, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I am posting this for someone who can't get into her BYC account right now to post.

"We have relatives visiting w/ a golden retriever, and she was messing around in the woods, chased the chickens and caught one to bring to us. I am fairly certain the wing is damaged and she looks pretty non-weight bearing. I put her back in the coop and she's just laying there, breathing kind of heavily, eyes closing. What do you all think? Do we see if she somehow heals or put her out of her suffering, if she is suffering? The other chickens are staying close to her, but we have the coop closed because they are also taking the occasional peck at her.
    Any thoughts for me?

BTW: we also have a dog that doessn't go near the chickens, although i wouldn't trust her alone!"

She is going to bring her in, warm her up with some water and food, and watch her. Any other suggestions?

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I would say she is right on track with bringing her in or atleast just confining her. I have a box that I use if something happens to one to give them a couple days to come around. Is there any open wounds?

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I think there are not any open wounds. It sounds like the retriever just retrieved her.

4. talkinboutmygirls

talkinboutmygirls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    I have had basically same thing happen with 3 different chickens in last 4 days, except mine have bite wounds. I was given the instructions on here to bring them inside, bathe and treat wounds, line bathtub with cardboard, layer paper shreds on that - lights out, small heater is on low and quiet.
    I'm back to feeding chick starter and some mashed or scrambled egg. Also giving "V&E by Durvet" (Vitamins and Electrolytes from Tractor Supply Co.) for drinking.
    They are sleeping and peeping - like when they were chicks. Much better than the just laying aorund they were doing before I became an EMT!

Good luck! My girls seem to be much better after tending to them early this morning.

5. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Pain management-
    5 (325mg) aspirin in 1 gallon of water- if you only offer 1 quart at a time-then add just a pinch of sugar to cover the aspirin
    I hope she's O.K.

6. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Is there an update on the sweet girl the retriever retrieved?

7. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I have gone through this before, I have chickens that like to escape, and a Dachshund who likes to attack them.

What I do, is bring the chicken inside and clean out any open wounds with warm water, and maybe a little tiny bit of peroxide. I put an old towel down in the bathtub and put the chicken in there. The last chicken to be attacked, I actually wrapped her in a towel, and made her comfy. Keep an eye on her through the day/night.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  8. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    If she is breathing heavy there may be internal damage...Gloria

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by