Chicken and duck eggs being sat on by turkey

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ametauss, Dec 20, 2008.

1. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I've got what appears to be a broody turkey that has taken in three muscovy eggs and 9 chicken eggs....

Do you guys think it's okay for her to sit on them?? I found the 9 chicken eggs under my coop yesterday and since no hen was sitting on them I moved them to inside the coop.

Since none of the hens moved in to sit on them by tonight, I gave them to the turkey.... I couldn't tell how long the eggs had been under the coop so I figure since the turkey was already sitting on three duck eggs, she might sit on the chicken eggs as well.....

I don't have a bator so I don't have a way to incubate them myself.

What do you think the chances are they'll mature??

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Guess you'll just have to wait and watch.

Don't chickens hatch before ducks?

I'm imagining a poor turkey with two groups of chicks and going bananas when the ducks head for the water.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If she stays on them, she shouldn't have any trouble hatching them. You will probably need to take them away once they hatch. Turkeys are bad enough about trampling poults, and I could just imagine how easy it would be for a 25#+ to step on a duck or chick.

4. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Try to keep a check on them every now and then. If the turkey is aggressive, rather leave the eggs, and make sure you get to the chicks before they hatch!

Good luck. Let us know what happens. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by