Chicken and rabbits in same area?

I'm not positive as I Don't raise rabbits but I think I remember someone telling me once that you can't keep them together because they can share certain diseases and parasites. Hopefully someone that knows a little better can come on here.

I do not have bunnies to keep with my chickens but I have very good friends on another farm that keep them together all of the time and they have never had any problems that I know of.

I think they will be just fine together.

Good Luck
bun.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I am planning to do the exact same thing... I have asked this question before and was told that yes you can totally keep them together as long as their is plenty of room, and they all have their own place to go to be alone. Sorry I can't remember more!
idunno.gif

I don't keep them together myself (don't have rabbits), but I know someone who does. She's had no problems that I know of. You do have to bury wire underneath the run. Her rabbits are always trying to dig their way out.

different rabbit different personalities..... we had rabbits in the chook run and some can get very territorial.... they can shred/ kill your chicken with their bite and back legs rucking, so, just in case, be ready to separate them.

both my bnl and i keep rabbits and chickens in the same area, in fact helps with all the rabbit manure, the chickens scratch and turn it over very often, helps alot with the ammonia smell that will build up if just left alone, not to mention keeps the flys under control also d/t the manure staying drier. however, we have had 2 problems occur over the years. my first hutches were too low to the ground, and the chickens would peck the toes of the young ones, the other is that if the chickens can get on top of the hutches (we use the wire cages), they poop all over the rabbits, and it really makes the does nervous, some have aborted or abandoned litters or have been very difficult to breed. just keep these in mind and you shouldn't have any trouble. in fact after we worked out our 2 problems, everyone seems happy, and are co-existing well. this has been over an 11 year period combined.

good luck,

dave

Joel Salatin and his son, Daniel, keep layers and rabbits in the same area. The rabbits are in hutches off the ground. The rabbit manure falls to the floor where the chickens can scratch it out. A year or two later the whole hot house gets turns into a green house for tomatoes and such. They also have the rabbits over bins so that the manure goes straight to earth worm for direct composting.

Back
Top Bottom