Chicken asthma?

ChicksNherps

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Bow, NH
I have been searching the threads but all I can find is people with sick chickens asking if it's asthma. My problem is I have a little silkie pullet, about 9 months old, who had a really bad cough for 2 months. Finally got vigorous because I was getting annoyed nothing I tried was working and I used oxine and tylan together. She is all better now and doesn't have a cough or a sneeze anymore. But now she has a slight weeze and she kind of quietly snorts when she is worked up. If I put my ear to her face I can hear her breathing where as my other one I can't hear anything. So my question is, after being sick for so long with a respiratory issue, could she have developed asthma? She acts normal, eats and drinks vigorously and poops fine. She has some good lungs on her too and likes to squawk loudly when she wants something.

Unlikely. What your bird likely has is one of the CRDs. You should have her tested to see what you are dealing with. Your county extension agent or local avian vet can help you find resources to get this done.

Good luck.

Unlikely. What your bird likely has is one of the CRDs. You should have her tested to see what you are dealing with. Your county extension agent or local avian vet can help you find resources to get this done.

Good luck.
if she does, wouldn't my other one have it? What are the CRD's? I'm pretty sure she had a fungal infection, but I was using different antibiotics for the first 2 months before I tried oxine and tylan. My other one was/is not sick and they have always been together.

Testing should reveal what she has. The other bird could be carrying the bug without showing signs of it.

This is not a cure but it will help her breath a little easier. VetRx, a couple of drops in each nostril. I use a cotton swab to do that. I also put some under each wing (arm pit) because chickens sleep with their heads tucked under their wing. It's like Vicks for people. It might relieve the her and help her breath easier. I also have used a heat vaporizor with the VetRx in the well on the humidifier. I used all these techniques just resently during an outbreak of IB.

I have been a member for about a year; this is first time I am using forum. Hen has a breathing problem. I feel a pea size lump about 3 inches down towards her abdomen, trying to find anatomy stuff on the interanl parts of a chicken. Took a video of her bretaing, don't know if I can post it. She sounds weezy, gurgly and coughing.

I have been a member for about a year; this is first time I am using forum. Hen has a breathing problem. I feel a pea size lump about 3 inches down towards her abdomen, trying to find anatomy stuff on the interanl parts of a chicken. Took a video of her bretaing, don't know if I can post it. She sounds weezy, gurgly and coughing.
Welcome, I think you should post this as a new thread. It sounds like a respiratory infection of some sort. The lump would be something different. If you could do that and post a picture of the lump. That would help. My last post also might help with the breathing symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom