Chicken ate an antidepressant. What do I do?

Goblingchickenfather

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
So our chicken managed to reach a shelf that had blister packs of antidepressants in them. She managed to peck through and eat one before I was able to pull her away from the packaging. This was about 2 hours ago and I'm concerned if it'll be serious enough to kill her or harm her.

its about 8pm so anything i can go pick up is closed.

So our chicken managed to reach a shelf that had blister packs of antidepressants in them. She managed to peck through and eat one before I was able to pull her away from the packaging. This was about 2 hours ago and I'm concerned if it'll be serious enough to kill her or harm her.

its about 8pm so anything i can go pick up is closed.
If everything is closed unless you have charcoal capsules on hand the only thing you can do is wait and keep an eye on her.

If everything is closed unless you have charcoal capsules on hand the only thing you can do is wait and keep an eye on her.
That's what I thought. I'll pick some up tomorrow incase of future possibilities. any amounts that I should limit it to giving her?
What type? After two hours I'm not sure if you can empty her crop, (which should only be done in emergencies)since it's probably desolved. Just keep watching her.
I'll need to learn how to do this incase then. I'm not sure on the spelling of the brand atm

Why are you keeping antidepressants on a shelf in the chicken coop?
she's an inside chicken, partner got her as a pet, we take her outside daily when it's not too cold. The medication wans't on a high enough shelf and she jumped to grab the pack while I was busy. We didnt think she could jump that high to reach. So it's a bit of accidental negligence on placement of medication, but we're correcting it and moving other stuff too.

she's an inside chicken, partner got her as a pet, we take her outside daily when it's not too cold. The medication wans't on a high enough shelf and she jumped to grab the pack while I was busy. We didnt think she could jump that high to reach. So it's a bit of accidental negligence on placement of medication, but we're correcting it and moving other stuff too.
1. Chickens are built for the cold.
2. Put the chicken in a coop with a chicken friend or two. They are flock animals. They need chicken companions.

Back
Top Bottom