Chicken ate an antidepressant. What do I do?

Well it's 5am now. She's still kicking but making what i can only describe as hiccups or noises that sound pitiful. But she's reactive and moving around. Still has an appetite. But it's been over 10 hours and she's very restless. Still definitely not normal
lol she's high as a kite.

not much to do for her except let her enjoy the ride.

So good news. She's doing a lot better today. I'm going to pick up some activated charcoal tomorrow since the pharmacies are closed today.
hopefully we won't need to use it in the future.
Most pet stores that carry supplies for caged birds will also have activated charcoal. In fact, you can get it out of fish tank filters as well.

Most pet stores that carry supplies for caged birds will also have activated charcoal. In fact, you can get it out of fish tank filters as well.
Aquarium filters use activated carbon, not to be confused with activated charcoal.

Activated carbon is most commonly used to filter water. It improves water quality, eliminates unpleasant odors, and removes chlorine and other pollutants. However, it's not sufficient for eliminating certain toxic organic compounds, significant levels of metals, fluoride, or pathogens.

Aquarium filters use activated carbon, not to be confused with activated charcoal.

Activated carbon is most commonly used to filter water. It improves water quality, eliminates unpleasant odors, and removes chlorine and other pollutants. However, it's not sufficient for eliminating certain toxic organic compounds, significant levels of metals, fluoride, or pathogens.
Pretty sure if you have to remove it from the aquarium when treating with a medication to prevent it from absorbing the medication in the water, it's certainly not going to hurt the bird to have some if that's all that's available. ;)

Back
Top Bottom