Chicken ate an antidepressant. What do I do?

I'm so sorry this has happened, and I can sympathize with how worried you are. I think that since she's managed to survive ten hours with minimal symptoms, she'll recover from this eventually. The long term harm that this may be doing to her can't be known. It's certainly an issue I've never seen here in this site.

A lesson can be learned here. Everyone needs to keep a bottle of activated charcoal, found where you buy vitamins, in their chicken first aid kit to give several capsules at the first indication of poisoning. That's when the charcoal can do the most good, absorbing the poison before it's in the bloodstream. A calcium tablet can also help block the uptake of a lot of these prescription meds and could be given to the chicken when the poisoning first occurs.

Hopefully, your experience can help many others. And you will be ready if this ever happens again.

I'm so sorry this has happened, and I can sympathize with how worried you are. I think that since she's managed to survive ten hours with minimal symptoms, she'll recover from this eventually. The long term harm that this may be doing to her can't be known. It's certainly an issue I've never seen here in this site.

A lesson can be learned here. Everyone needs to keep a bottle of activated charcoal, found where you buy vitamins, in their chicken first aid kit to give several capsules at the first indication of poisoning. That's when the charcoal can do the most good, absorbing the poison before it's in the bloodstream. A calcium tablet can also help block the uptake of a lot of these prescription meds and could be given to the chicken when the poisoning first occurs.

Hopefully, your experience can help many others. And you will be ready if this ever happens again.
So good news. She's doing a lot better today. I'm going to pick up some activated charcoal tomorrow since the pharmacies are closed today.
hopefully we won't need to use it in the future.

Well it's 5am now. She's still kicking but making what i can only describe as hiccups or noises that sound pitiful. But she's reactive and moving around. Still has an appetite. But it's been over 10 hours and she's very restless. Still definitely not normal

I've been lurking on this thread and very glad to hear that she has made the night. Hopefully she continues to get better as the day goes on!

So good news. She's doing a lot better today. I'm going to pick up some activated charcoal tomorrow since the pharmacies are closed today.
hopefully we won't need to use it in the future.
You can get activated charcoal at Wal-Mart as well. Wouldn't be a bad thing to keep on hand for the whole family and any other pets.

Oh, joy!! She's going to be just fine. This is certainly a first for me, seeing what happens when a chicken gobbles an antidepressant.

You are actually lucky not to have any Walmarts. As @Chicken Heel hints at, Walmarts are a mixed blessing. We can do one-stop shopping but we are tyrannized into buying four to six items when we only need one because they package everything into multiples. Over the years, choices have narrowed down to a few brands or styles, so our freedom of selection is minimized. And there is no going to a competing store for better choices as Walmart drove them all out of business a couple decades ago. And the quality is so mediocre that you end up spending much more over the long run replacing crappy stuff that seems designed to live in a landfill. Those of us in rural areas have to drive a hundred miles for decent stores.

I might visit a Wal-Mart once every couple months. Nobody can deny that they are convenient for last minute emergency supplies though. If I need activated charcoal, I need it now. Waiting on a pharmacy to open could mean losing a life. Or once when I needed electrolytes at 10 p.m. For med/wellness type stuff that can't wait for whatever other store might carry it to open - mine is literally a life saver.

I might visit a Wal-Mart once every couple months. Nobody can deny that they are convenient for last minute emergency supplies though. If I need activated charcoal, I need it now. Waiting on a pharmacy to open could mean losing a life. Or once when I needed electrolytes at 10 p.m. For med/wellness type stuff that can't wait for whatever other store might carry it to open - mine is literally a life saver.
I go to mine all the time! I can’t imagine going so infrequently.

Back
Top Bottom