Chicken attacked and missing skin

Tube feeding her might be an easier way of getting enough food and water into her. There are numerous articles and videos on tube or crop feeding chickens. The tube is passed 2-3 times a day and then removed between feedings. You also can make sterile normal saline to clean her wounds before applying the antibiotic ointment. Boil 2 tsp of table salt into 1 quart 32 ounces of water, cool, and place in a clean jar. You can spray it on as well. What is your location? Here is some info on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post.805615/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Even though she has been eating mostly liquid type foods is she pooping? I would hesitate to keep putting food in if you don't have an idea s to why it's coming back out.
Do you think it is coming back up from her crop or is she possibly not fully swallowing what you give her?

You mentioned you haven't given her anything solid because you don't want her to hurt herself trying to eat. I would dissolve some feed in warm water and add some quick oats. Not too runny but not too solid. Put it on a brick or something raised so she doesn't have to bend her neck and see if she is able to eat that at her own pace.

Tube feeding would work if you really think she needs to eat more. I would be very nervous to try it with her neck injury. I did it once with my husband to hold the bird and keep his head still but he needed a very firm grip. Although once the tube started down his esophagus he was very still.

Last edited:
Tube feeding her might be an easier way of getting enough food and water into her. There are numerous articles and videos on tube or crop feeding chickens. The tube is passed 2-3 times a day and then removed between feedings. You also can make sterile normal saline to clean her wounds before applying the antibiotic ointment. Boil 2 tsp of table salt into 1 quart 32 ounces of water, cool, and place in a clean jar. You can spray it on as well. What is your location? Here is some info on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post.805615/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Thank you! I will use the saline method immediately as well as the tube feeding. I am in California, I will let you know of the progress.

My baby has a sister chicken that she’s grown up with and they grow extremely depressed without eachother. I don’t want her to suffer, she’s going to be in pain due to the extensive amount of injury but I am trying all of the methods above to alleviate it, at the moment she is resting and is not making abnormal noises or movements. It is horrible seeing them in this state because of our connection together, I’ve had her and her sister since little chicks.
Gosh I just saw the photos those are awful wounds. I am so sorry for your girl...

I can understand the bond you may have with her, along with your hens sister. I am too familiar with loosing animals of which not only I had a deep bond with but their companions too.... I say this out of pure compassion and honesty but you really must consider your lady bird's quality of life at this point. Her wounds are quite extensive... And there very well may be more to it that you cannot see. So so sorry for what has happened. I was in the same emergency with my ganders beautiful 1st wife not long ago and its so rough! Luckily I was able to find him a new companion and they live a happy life together now. That isn't impossible for your hens sister... Best of luck :hugs

Even though she has been eating mostly liquid type foods is she pooping? I would hesitate to keep putting food in if you don't have an idea s to why it's coming back out.
Do you think it is coming back up from her crop or is she possibly not fully swallowing what you give her?

You mentioned you haven't given her anything solid because you don't want her to hurt herself trying to eat. I would dissolve some feed in warm water and add some quick oats. Not too runny but not too solid. Put it on a brick or something raised so she doesn't have to bend her neck and see if she is able to eat that at her own pace.

Tube feeding would work if you really think she needs to eat more. I would be very nervous to try it with her neck injury. I did it once with my husband to hold the bird and keep his head still but he needed a very firm grip. Although once the tube started down his esophagus he was very still.
She is pooping and it seems to have a green-ish look to it mixed with the normal dark look. I think she was just being fed too much liquid and I’ve given her less but I’m not sure of how much food mixture to feed her at once , how much a day, I should feed her 3 times day I think. Does normal oatmeal work? I don’t have quick oats. I can only feed her when she opens her mouth to breathe so I just put enough to fill the front of her mouth so when she closes it she can swallow without choking and it’s a long patient process.

Gosh I just saw the photos those are awful wounds. I am so sorry for your girl...

I can understand the bond you may have with her, along with your hens sister. I am too familiar with loosing animals of which not only I had a deep bond with but their companions too.... I say this out of pure compassion and honesty but you really must consider your lady bird's quality of life at this point. Her wounds are quite extensive... And there very well may be more to it that you cannot see. So so sorry for what has happened. I was in the same emergency with my ganders beautiful 1st wife not long ago and its so rough! Luckily I was able to find him a new companion and they live a happy life together now. That isn't impossible for your hens sister... Best of luck :hugs
Thank you for understanding, they are pretty bad, but the edges of her skin is starting to heal slowly! I was considering it but after treating her more and giving her 20 mg of baby aspirin with meals (only aspirin twice a day) she seems to not be in as much pain. Hopefully I can get her up and energetic soon. Thank you for your kind words and compassion !

Thank you for understanding, they are pretty bad, but the edges of her skin is starting to heal slowly! I was considering it but after treating her more and giving her 20 mg of baby aspirin with meals (only aspirin twice a day) she seems to not be in as much pain. Hopefully I can get her up and energetic soon. Thank you for your kind words and compassion !
I do hope your bird gets well fast.

At this point I don’t know if she’s going to make it. She didn’t eat enough today and threw up all of what I gave her a few hours ago. I don’t think she will eat on her own because her eyes are usually closed and is just focusing on breathing. I want to take her to the vet to get assessed or get euthanized so she’s not suffering but we can’t afford it at the moment but this is killing me every waking second. I don’t know what to do at this point, I’ve tried all of the methods you all have offered, I genuinely appreciate your support and encouragement. It may take a few more days, but it’s just a feeling I have about this because of our connection. She also hasn’t really been pooping because she hasn’t been eating/keeping it down.

Do you happen to know where I can get a tube for this?

I did use the saline method, I still have to get a tube for the feeding, I’m not sure how much to give her if she is having issues keeping it down and I’m not sure where to get the tube, pet supply stores perhaps? Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom