Chicken attacked and missing skin

ChickenLady_27

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2021
Hi there, my chicken was attacked yesterday by a stray dog and the back of her neck was very badly injured. Behind her neck on the middle and right side the skin is completely gone and on the right side I can see all the way through to where I believe it is the other side of her throat/breathing passage. When she inhales I can see it move and she is only breathing through her mouth. The back of her neck is missing all the skin and you can see the muscle and etc. I tried to support her neck with a makeshift neck brace made out of a 1/4 of a toilet paper roll lined with padding. I cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide and put triple antibiotic on it. I wrapped it with sterilized gauze that is secured underneath the neck brace and she is having trouble keeping her head up, but the brace does help. I gave her a tiny amount of amoxycillin mixed with feeding formula for baby birds that has DHA and omega-3. Im feeding her with a syringe that I carefully put in her mouth. I’m not sure if she’ll heal properly but there isn’t anything to suture up due to how much is missing. If anyone has any additional help on a mixture of immune boosting formula or help with making it heal quicker it would be greatly appreciated! I will take pictures once I change the bandages again, I don’t want to move her around too much. Also, her neck is not broken as far as I can tell because she can hold her head up but gets exhausted and lays it in front of her body. Thank you for your help!!!

I hate to say this but, I don't think she will make it. Where the wound is, it looks like a severe bite / crush wound. There may be internal damage / crushing you are not seeing, possible brain damage too.

If she is just hanging in there like that she's probably suffering badly. How is she eating?

Id also file a police report, see if the dog can be located and put down, or if you end up shooting it yourself if it comes back, which it very well may given it knows there's potential food at your place now, its less of an 'issue' to sort through.

How exactly did the dog get to the chicken? Climb under a fence, just happened to be walking by and the chicken was in free grasp range?? What I am getting at is you may need to make some modifications to keep this from happening again.

Aaron

My baby has a sister chicken that she’s grown up with and they grow extremely depressed without eachother. I don’t want her to suffer, she’s going to be in pain due to the extensive amount of injury but I am trying all of the methods above to alleviate it, at the moment she is resting and is not making abnormal noises or movements. It is horrible seeing them in this state because of our connection together, I’ve had her and her sister since little chicks.
Gosh I just saw the photos those are awful wounds. I am so sorry for your girl...

I can understand the bond you may have with her, along with your hens sister. I am too familiar with loosing animals of which not only I had a deep bond with but their companions too.... I say this out of pure compassion and honesty but you really must consider your lady bird's quality of life at this point. Her wounds are quite extensive... And there very well may be more to it that you cannot see. So so sorry for what has happened. I was in the same emergency with my ganders beautiful 1st wife not long ago and its so rough! Luckily I was able to find him a new companion and they live a happy life together now. That isn't impossible for your hens sister... Best of luck :hugs

Thank you for understanding, they are pretty bad, but the edges of her skin is starting to heal slowly! I was considering it but after treating her more and giving her 20 mg of baby aspirin with meals (only aspirin twice a day) she seems to not be in as much pain. Hopefully I can get her up and energetic soon. Thank you for your kind words and compassion !
I do hope your bird gets well fast.

Hello all, I am sad to tell you she has passed away as of last night. My journey with her was short but not short in love and connection. I am glad she is no longer suffering and can exist in another form perhaps, but is no longer in this form. I appreciate all of your help and concern and I wish you the best with your feathered friends. I hope this article can help others in frantic need of information regarding a similar situation and can perhaps heal, or end the suffering of their beloved companion. Thank you all individually for helping me, genuinely. Every response submitted from each person meant so much and the devotion from you all is so beautiful. Thank you for your consistency and compassion ChicNmom & that_crazy_lady. I wish I could’ve ended her suffering sooner but I couldn’t bring myself to end it with my own hands, I have too much optimism (even if blind.) Lessons were learned and I have a responsibility to myself and my other chickens to help, heal and understand their needs and what should be done in accordance to them. I wish you all love and happiness❤️

This is what her wound looks like day 2, she seems like she is not doing better and I am worried we may have to put her down. I don’t want to do this but I don’t want her in pain and she seems like it.

Attachments

• F59A05BE-8B13-4537-A713-C036E60458C9.jpeg
    F59A05BE-8B13-4537-A713-C036E60458C9.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 9B8433E9-E8C3-4C18-97F8-2E10658B8BF6.jpeg
    9B8433E9-E8C3-4C18-97F8-2E10658B8BF6.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 36
This is how she looks each time she takes a breath, and then she rests her head back down and keeps her eyes closed.

Attachments

• 1B681525-F76B-449D-8524-D3F28C0BAC35.jpeg
    1B681525-F76B-449D-8524-D3F28C0BAC35.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 35
Poor baby! I would definitely keep the area where the skin is missing covered in neosporin or ointment so it doesn't dry out. It does look really bad and I'm sure she is exhausted from the attack and healing uses a lot of energy. You're doing a great job and I hope she pulls through.

Could you put her friend in a cage near her? It might make her feel a little better to have a friend near by.

Gosh I just saw the photos those are awful wounds. I am so sorry for your girl...

I can understand the bond you may have with her, along with your hens sister. I am too familiar with loosing animals of which not only I had a deep bond with but their companions too.... I say this out of pure compassion and honesty but you really must consider your lady bird's quality of life at this point. Her wounds are quite extensive... And there very well may be more to it that you cannot see. So so sorry for what has happened. I was in the same emergency with my ganders beautiful 1st wife not long ago and its so rough! Luckily I was able to find him a new companion and they live a happy life together now. That isn't impossible for your hens sister... Best of luck :hugs
Thank you for understanding, they are pretty bad, but the edges of her skin is starting to heal slowly! I was considering it but after treating her more and giving her 20 mg of baby aspirin with meals (only aspirin twice a day) she seems to not be in as much pain. Hopefully I can get her up and energetic soon. Thank you for your kind words and compassion !

Back
Top Bottom