Chicken attacked and missing skin

Although I am all for trying to save injured chickens and know about their amazing resilience, in this case I would immediately end her misery, as this injury is way to severe to heal and allow her to live life normally.
The missing structures/muscles will not grow back like a piece of missing skin could.
Sometimes it makes more sense to spare them further agony.

I'm sorry she didn't make it. It's hard for me to put down a chicken. Both of the times I was personally prepared to do it the chicken rallied and pulled through. So it's a tough call for me. I have also in retrospect apologized to all the chickens I made mistakes with knowing I did the best I could at the time.

That's really all anyone can do.
You’re right, thank you for your understanding and compassion, It’s been greatly appreciated. I buried her yesterday in a very nice area next to my Rosemary bush. Both death and life live in unison and I’ve come to terms with this loss, I wish her well on her journey as I do you on yours. Good luck out there :)

-P

I'm trying to visualize the wound from your description. Does she have a hole in her neck that you can see into?

I'm sure she is very sore and tired. I would keep trying get her to eat and drink. You can give her a little baby aspirin for pain. unless she is bleeding a lot. Possibly mixed in water and droppered into her beak.

There are various dose options on the forum.

Do a search on aspirin dose and see if any seem right for the size of your hen.

Honestly I’d probably give her chicken bone broth. I’m sure that sounds bad to some people, but it’s what I’d do. It’s easy on the body, and full of good stuff.
I personally wouldn’t do any more internal anabiotic’s.

In the past I’ve used NuStock to heal a large head wound on a chicken... this sounds worse, but that is still probably what I would used. There is also a product called underwoods. I haven’t used it on birds, but I’ve seen the stuff it has been used to treat, it’s pretty impressive.

if you are into natural stuff - arnica for pain. I’d probably just do one 30c pellet into every table spoon of water. It’s for pain and inflammation. There is another homeopathic called merc sol, one of the things it is used for is infection with puss pockets. I have used these on livestock.

I hope she heals up well.

I had a goose who was attacked by a dog. Her wounds were very similar to what you describe and she was missing big patches of skin in vital areas of her neck/throat, muscles and esophagus were visible... It was awful.

I hate to say it but your feathered friend may not recover well from this attack and the possibility of having to put her out of her pain may be the only solution. Wouldn't hurt to try and heal her, if it isn't TOO severe. But at some point we must decide quickly on their quality of life and end suffering. I felt so bad for my goose Lola. Her and my gander were very much enamored with each other and it sucked having to make that decision so swiftly): good luck and I truly wish you the best!! So terrible to see our animals in that state.

This is what her wound looks like day 2, she seems like she is not doing better and I am worried we may have to put her down. I don’t want to do this but I don’t want her in pain and she seems like it. She has enough energy to stand every now and then but it seems weak and she doesn't open her eyes. Her tongue sometimes sticks out of the side of her beak as well

Also every few hours she chirps/yells very loudly and it dosent sound like any chicken noise I have ever heard. She is in pain, I’m just not sure how to make it stop

Back
Top Bottom