Chicken attacked and missing skin

So sorry about your chicken. Those wounds look pretty bad. I am not sure that you can save her. I would spray the wounds with Vetericyn and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Has she eaten or drunk any liquids? Is she able to stand or walk? Aspirin 40 mg can be given orally once or twice a day up to 3 days for pain. A vet can prescribe meloxicam for pain. If she seems to be suffering, I would consider putting her down.

I’m so sorry, but I don’t think she can be saved. That is extensive. And she seems to be barely holding on.
She’s getting rest at the moment and needs to get her energy back, I’ll post her progress and if she gets worse I may have to choose another option :(. She doesn’t seem to be in as much pain, thank you all for your suggestions and help I will use them.

So sorry about your chicken. Those wounds look pretty bad. I am not sure that you can save her. I would spray the wounds with Vetericyn and apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Has she eaten or drunk any liquids? Is she able to stand or walk? Aspirin 40 mg can be given orally once or twice a day up to 3 days for pain. A vet can prescribe meloxicam for pain. If she seems to be suffering, I would consider putting her down.
I don’t have vetericyn, where can I get it? She is drinking and I am feeding her through a syringe becuase I don’t want her to use her neck too much. She is able to stand and walk around for short periods. Is 40 mg of aspirin too much? She is quite light and I want to make sure to give her exact amounts, (not that I question your wisdom, just out of caution). I just think she needs more rest, which she is getting in a padded open box in my room which is quiet and calm. When I went in she was asleep and seems to be okay, no strange noises or activity at the moment

I had a goose who was attacked by a dog. Her wounds were very similar to what you describe and she was missing big patches of skin in vital areas of her neck/throat, muscles and esophagus were visible... It was awful.

I hate to say it but your feathered friend may not recover well from this attack and the possibility of having to put her out of her pain may be the only solution. Wouldn't hurt to try and heal her, if it isn't TOO severe. But at some point we must decide quickly on their quality of life and end suffering. I felt so bad for my goose Lola. Her and my gander were very much enamored with each other and it sucked having to make that decision so swiftly): good luck and I truly wish you the best!! So terrible to see our animals in that state.
My baby has a sister chicken that she’s grown up with and they grow extremely depressed without eachother. I don’t want her to suffer, she’s going to be in pain due to the extensive amount of injury but I am trying all of the methods above to alleviate it, at the moment she is resting and is not making abnormal noises or movements. It is horrible seeing them in this state because of our connection together, I’ve had her and her sister since little chicks.

Also, how much vitamin E should I give her? I have a bottle that has a total of 30,000 IU and I put one tiny drop inside of a syringe that I use to feed her with the omega 3 and DHA mixed with crushed chicken feed

Poor baby! I would definitely keep the area where the skin is missing covered in neosporin or ointment so it doesn't dry out. It does look really bad and I'm sure she is exhausted from the attack and healing uses a lot of energy. You're doing a great job and I hope she pulls through.

Could you put her friend in a cage near her? It might make her feel a little better to have a friend near by.
I have been keeping it clean and tended to with triple antibiotic and Neosporin and gently dabbing the affected area with water each time I change it so it’s clean and I can layer new antibiotic on with the sterilized bandages. I will keep them nearby eachother tonight, I will let her stretch her legs a little inside my room on a towel with her friend when I change her bandages again tonight. Thank you for your continued support, it genuinely helps! :)

I hate to say this but, I don't think she will make it. Where the wound is, it looks like a severe bite / crush wound. There may be internal damage / crushing you are not seeing, possible brain damage too.

If she is just hanging in there like that she's probably suffering badly. How is she eating?

Id also file a police report, see if the dog can be located and put down, or if you end up shooting it yourself if it comes back, which it very well may given it knows there's potential food at your place now, its less of an 'issue' to sort through.

How exactly did the dog get to the chicken? Climb under a fence, just happened to be walking by and the chicken was in free grasp range?? What I am getting at is you may need to make some modifications to keep this from happening again.

Aaron
It was a dog that I believe jumped our fence but it is too tall and there is no way under, but I have to make sure the entire perimeter is secure. Our backyard is fenced in way up high and there is only one possible entrance but has been repaired. If I do see the dog again I will make sure to call animal control. She is eating when I feed her through the syringe but it has to be soft/liquid at the moment because I don’t want her pecking yet, also I don’t think she is able but I haven’t tried. I doubt there is crushing because another one of our chickens was attacked and this was a small dog, except that chicken doesn’t have as extensive of damage and is doing as fine as she was before, but I am mending her as well.

Now she is having issues keeping her food down, it comes up in a slobbery type of spittle and I need to get something solid in her system but I’m not sure how , can you help??

Tube feeding her might be an easier way of getting enough food and water into her. There are numerous articles and videos on tube or crop feeding chickens. The tube is passed 2-3 times a day and then removed between feedings. You also can make sterile normal saline to clean her wounds before applying the antibiotic ointment. Boil 2 tsp of table salt into 1 quart 32 ounces of water, cool, and place in a clean jar. You can spray it on as well. What is your location? Here is some info on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-pics-for-visuals-very-detailed-post.805615/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Back
Top Bottom