chicken beak is "crossed" or "overlapped"

cmaranhao

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
Portugal
well, bought some new chickens and one of them has the top half beak crossing with the below hald beak (if this makes sense), like the lower half section is too big so the top went to the side.

is this of concern? what should I do? cut the lower half so she can close the beak without having it skewed?

look at the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_194705.jpg
    IMG_20190415_194705.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20190415_194811.jpg
    IMG_20190415_194811.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190415_194814.jpg
    IMG_20190415_194814.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190415_194817.jpg
    IMG_20190415_194817.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 26
You can carefully trim the beak using dog nail clippers. The problem lies in the fact that this cross beak condition frequently becomes more significant as the bird ages. Right now that pullet does not look too bad. If it gets worse special considerations for adequate feed intake must be addressed.

but which half should I cut? Maybe if I cut both upper and lower sides it can "readjust" when it grows back? It seems the lower half is too big. Or the top side too small?

been reading about this issue, it does not seem to be so bad afterall compared to other examples. I will keep an eye on her, maybe she can wear the tip out? I have them on my backyard so I hope she can wear it so both tips "match". or should I go and trim it anyway?

Be very careful if you decide to trim her beak and have some quick stop or something else designed to specifically stop bleeding if you cut too much. Pet stores have these products. Back in the day when I kept parrots, I used to do beak trimming with a Dremel tool. It's upsetting to the bird, of course, but less risk of bleeding. Personally, I might let it go if they're not having trouble eating or drinking. But, keep a close eye on it.

still have not done anything, not sure what to do. from what I read, this is not an extreme problem but it is not good also. I think it would probably improve if I trim it now and see if it can keep it worn to prevent another periodic trim. but this particular bird is so nervous, it will not be an easy task grabbing it, even worse to trim the beak safely.

still have not done anything, not sure what to do. from what I read, this is not an extreme problem but it is not good also. I think it would probably improve if I trim it now and see if it can keep it worn to prevent another periodic trim. but this particular bird is so nervous, it will not be an easy task grabbing it, even worse to trim the beak safely.
Some birds live with it without any trouble. It really depends on the severity. I had a chick a few years back with a very severe case of scissor beak that ended up dying at about 8 weeks old because it could never get enough to eat, even with me hand feeding it. I really beat myself up for not culling it when it was little. Yours looks nothing like mine did. If it was my bird and it wasn't having any trouble eating or drinking I would leave it be. I don't see the need to trim it if the goal is just to improve appearance. One thing I would do is make sure you have at least 2 feeders and waterers, possibly more depending on the size of your flock so the birds lower on the pecking order can eat and drink without being bullied. In general this is something I think is a good idea but in these types of situations in particular.

that is good advice, I already have 2 of each though the backup units are small. My idea is to add another big feeder and big waterer. I have 13 chickens now, had 3, bought 10. they are separated for now.

I have posted this in another topic, since no one is answering and this is troubling me I ask here:

"I just noticed I made a BIG mistake. I am feeding 3 to 4 month old pullets egg laying feed pellets. bought them on sunday and today is tuesday night, they have not eaten much these days neither. probably the last decent meal they had was on saturday. only tomorrow afternoon I can feed them properly again, have to buy the feed after work.

they are free ranging, they can eat herbs, maybe a worm from now and then, should I be worried? they have plenty of fresh water."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...out-food-water-bad-guilty-owner.798285/page-3

been reading about this issue, it does not seem to be so bad afterall compared to other examples. I will keep an eye on her, maybe she can wear the tip out? I have them on my backyard so I hope she can wear it so both tips "match". or should I go and trim it anyway?
I would just leave it unless you see it is causing her a problem.

that is good advice, I already have 2 of each though the backup units are small. My idea is to add another big feeder and big waterer. I have 13 chickens now, had 3, bought 10. they are separated for now.

I have posted this in another topic, since no one is answering and this is troubling me I ask here:

"I just noticed I made a BIG mistake. I am feeding 3 to 4 month old pullets egg laying feed pellets. bought them on sunday and today is tuesday night, they have not eaten much these days neither. probably the last decent meal they had was on saturday. only tomorrow afternoon I can feed them properly again, have to buy the feed after work.

they are free ranging, they can eat herbs, maybe a worm from now and then, should I be worried? they have plenty of fresh water."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...out-food-water-bad-guilty-owner.798285/page-3
I don't know the answer to that question but my gut feeling is a few days isn't a big deal at all. I know several folks that only feed "all flock" and this is what I've started doing as well. I'm sure someone will answer your other post that can give you a better answer.

Back
Top Bottom