Chicken becomes v anxious and squarks when friend isnt near - help!

Pom Pom and Lavender

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2021
Hi all

Wondering if you can help me as I am new here and new to chicken keeping! I adopted two silkies Pom Pom and Lavender about 2 months ago. They are approx. 1 year old and settled in really well. I was then told not to keep chickens in groups of less than three, so I then got two more silkies approx. 5 months old from a reputable breeder about two weeks ago. They were quarantined and then I did the introductions as I read about: Separate coop and run but could see each other. I let them out to free range together and it has been okay.....there has been pecking of the new ones by the old ones and running at each other but no blood has been drawn so I have assumed this is normal 'pecking order' behaviour as they get settled in.

Problem is since getting the newbies and when hanging out in the coop in the day, Lavender, who is more docile and nervous, sqwarks for Pom Pom incessantly every time she can't see her or goes to lay an egg, and gets very aggressive with the newbies when she isn't with her friend Pom Pom.

I guess my question is, is this normal and will they all start getting along in time? I want them to all integrate together and not run around in pairs which is what they're doing now.

Thank you for your advice! 😀

Alice

Thanks for all your replies. I don’t have a video sorry but I will try and get one. They never ever make a noise when they lay usually anyway - they just go Up to the nesting box and quietly lay then come Down! Do you have an example of an egg laying sqwark I can see?

it’s reassuring to know that it will hopefully calm down when they get to know each other better :)

Back
Top Bottom