Chicken behaviour

To help her pass the egg you could give her a nice warm soak in epsom salt water.
Some people use the kitchen sink or a foot tub. You’ll need to be comfortable as you’ll be supervising her her for about 20 minutes. Most chickens actually like the soaks once they’ve settled in.
You’ll need to be sure to get her good and dry after.
Some oil for after the soak is helpful to pass the egg. You’ll want to provide a warm quiet place for her after her soak.

Hi @Marisa14
Do you have calcium supplements on hand? Human supplements are fine. If she is having trouble passing an egg I would give her one of those - crush it up on some cooked egg or over some yoghurt usually works. That will help her pass the egg along with the soak. If you don't have any calcium you can just crush up some eggshells and again mix with some nice treat. Even blend an egg, eggshell included and cook that up. This will not harm her even if she is not egg bound.

Can I ask, did she stop laying when she started moulting or with cold weather or was it for no apparent reason?
Wishing you the best!

Hi @Marisa14
Do you have calcium supplements on hand? Human supplements are fine. If she is having trouble passing an egg I would give her one of those - crush it up on some cooked egg or over some yoghurt usually works. That will help her pass the egg along with the soak. If you don't have any calcium you can just crush up some eggshells and again mix with some nice treat. Even blend an egg, eggshell included and cook that up. This will not harm her even if she is not egg bound.

Can I ask, did she stop laying when she started moulting or with cold weather or was it for no apparent reason?
Wishing you the best!
Thank you so much, I will try that!
She stopped for no apparent reason it is summer here in NZ so the weather has been warm for a few months now

If you have gloves that good but if not it’s okay. Lube your finger (index) and insert it into her vent aprox 2” (to your second nuckle) you should be able to feel if there’s an egg. You won’t hurt her if you think about it your finger is much smaller than an egg.
Thanks! Ok... I have just done it (with gloves) felt no egg but her rear ended was very smelly and looked super odd, I trimmed the feathers and cleaned it up with antiseptic wash. It doesn’t look right and it’s an understatement to say I’m very worried about her!

Back
Top Bottom