chicken bleeding from vent

corey perrine

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 17, 2009
I have a good layer bleeding from what looks like a sore above her vent.
the others are picking at her so I removed her.
two others have sores/scabs above thier vents also.
could my bantam roosters hurt my fullsized hens?

First of all...
welcome-byc.gif
You did the right thing by removing your hen. I would clean it and put an antibiotic cream on it. I'm not an expert on this kind of thing (as far as figuring out where it came from) but, what I would do if it were me, is hang out with your chickens for at least a good hour and see if you can witness what is going on. I suppose it could be a rooster or even a hen. Another thing you can do is buy some pine tar at the feed store to put on the others' bums to keep them from further injury. I've never used it but people here say it works good for preventing picking. I've used Blu-Kote which is supposed to stop picking and has an antibiotic in it as well but some say it didn't work for them. I hope someone will come here soon to give you feedback as well. I hope you get to the bottom of it...oh! And don't put your injured hen back in with the others until she is healed or they will pick at it again. Or, perhaps, when she is pretty well healed you could put some pine tar on her wound. I don't know if it's a good idea to do it if the wound is open. Like I say, hopefully, somebody can further enlighten you on that aspect. Hope you come and visit us often!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom