Chicken block swap due June 15th

Well I found a you tube video about the idea of sewing a liner fabric and turning, this is what I was thinking may work

Looks good! I use fusable interfacing and make sure the bubbly/sticky iron side will end up on the outside once you turn. slightly round sharp corners, use basic shapes and a bodkin or chop stick to turn.

Last edited:
I reworked the feet to simplify them, they were giving me an insane headache. I like the original shape better for looks, but the new shape should be easier to get turned, in keeping w/ your removed idea to keep the shapes simple Anna. lol

Well I found a you tube video about the idea of sewing a liner fabric and turning, this is what I was thinking may work

I watched the video's you posted Lacy, thanks, if I decide to do hand work it does look like a better outcome then what I was doing. I have not been much of a hand work kinda gal usually so I'll have to think about whether I actually would do it or not.

Last night I drafted my first ever foundation pattern. The applique patterns I picked were cute and almost cartoony (think childs coloring book probably). I didn't want to tackle curves on my first draft pattern so my foundation is more angular, a roo, and more folk artsy. If I do the foundation one, I won't be able to add the tweety bird chick. Decisions, decisions.

Just finished watching that video and I have to say, she did an excellent job. My machine has both of those stitches she used so I'm thinking that once payday arrives this week, I'm going to get some really lightweight interfacing and do mine this way. I love doing hand work but this method will ensure I get them out on time... as long as I start right away.

Kassaundra I think the use of lightweight heat n bond is great in wall hanging type quilts and I have used it in apron decoration too. To my way of thinking it is way too stiff for an actual quilt. If I machine sew around the piece, I use a narrow zig -zag and go over it twice. In a color that matches applique. All that said I use freezer paper using my stiletto to turn the fabric so I don't burn my fingers with the iron. I have found one each of the paper piecing and the regular applique, so I will do half and half.

Kassaundra I think the use of lightweight heat n bond is great in wall hanging type quilts and I have used it in apron decoration too. To my way of thinking it is way too stiff for an actual quilt. If I machine sew around the piece, I use a narrow zig -zag and go over it twice. In a color that matches applique. All that said I use freezer paper using my stiletto to turn the fabric so I don't burn my fingers with the iron. I have found one each of the paper piecing and the regular applique, so I will do half and half.

This was my first ever attempt at light weight heat n bond, and I have to say I am not a fan. Stiff and doesn't stick. I am someone who walks through the fabric store w/ my hands as much as my eyes, and it just hasn't got a good hand at all.

I gave up trying today and went out and played in the dirt.

Lol, so funny! I had problems getting the heat-n-bond to stick too at first. I reread the instructions and guessed that I was heating it too long when the instruction time didn't do right either. Haven't messed with it much since then. If (rarely) I do any applique I just pin down the pieces and sew them on. Sometimes I'd just rather play in the dirt too!

Hmmm it does make it stiff.

You can use the donut method if you like to decrease that. Cut out the center of the Heat and bond, leaving on at least 1/4 or more of the inner edge, more with bigger piece, before you fuse it.

In the beginning I used to over heat my iron and leave it on too long also causing the heat and bond not to stick. This happens especially with the initial fusing.

I have also had a bad batch of heat and bond and it would just not stick.

The up site of using it is that pieces will stick better and I can make more intrigued blocks.

When using Heat and Bond, you do still have to sew it down.

I love needle turn applique but it is more prone to come off and realistically I can not do 12 blocks for a swap doing needle applique as it is very labor intensive. At least I can not do the more intrigued blocks.

I am curious what everyone comes up with and decides on. I use the turning method a lot too with larger appliques and less pieces. Having been in other swaps most everyone uses Heat and Bond or something similar and then uses different techniques to sew it down. I was told you can not just sew fabric down else it will come off in a washing.

Hmmm it does make it stiff.

You can use the donut method if you like to decrease that. Cut out the center of the Heat and bond, leaving on at least 1/4 or more of the inner edge, more with bigger piece, before you fuse it.

In the beginning I used to over heat my iron and leave it on too long also causing the heat and bond not to stick. This happens especially with the initial fusing.

I have also had a bad batch of heat and bond and it would just not stick.

The up site of using it is that pieces will stick better and I can make more intrigued blocks.

When using Heat and Bond, you do still have to sew it down.

I love needle turn applique but it is more prone to come off and realistically I can not do 12 blocks for a swap doing needle applique as it is very labor intensive. At least I can not do the more intrigued blocks.

I am curious what everyone comes up with and decides on. I use the turning method a lot too with larger appliques and less pieces. Having been in other swaps most everyone uses Heat and Bond or something similar and then uses different techniques to sew it down. I was told you can not just sew fabric down else it will come off in a washing.
I think that perhaps if these statements might be true, then it is because the person doing the sewing doesn't know how to do it correctly. Or doesn't want to take the time to do it correctly. Also, if a person feels that its labor intensive then they do have a love for the finished product, or they are working against a time line. You can't take a stitch every half inch in applique... or even every 1/4 inch.

This is how I was taught in a class that was offered by my lqs more than 15 years ago. You need freezer paper and a washable glue stick. Trace and cut your pattern from the freezer paper. Place waxy side down on the wrong side of your fabric. Press it down. No steam with a hot iron. Trim around the piece using a generous 1/4 seam allowance. Use the glue stick on the edges of the pattern and fold up the seam allowance all the way around. At this point I have done needle turn and blanket stitch to appliqué to the background fabric. Options for removing the paper include; complete the appliqué and cut a small slit in the background fabric and remove the paper then sew up the slit - works well for large pieces, or sew to nearly the end and the pull out the paper. And finish the stitching - small pieces. Eithe way it helps to lightly dampen the edges to dissolve the glue. When I have large pieces like the chicken body for these blocks I will adhere the fabric, glue the edges and the trim the bulk of the paper from out of the middle of the pattern. This allows the fabris to be a little more pliable which is nice if you are hand stitching. This method is how I have always done appliqué. I'm happy to answer questions. I think if you google freezer paper appliqué you might get a photo or video tutorial.

Last edited:
Back in UK! At my mums for a week. I can't download my camera to my iPad as don't have enough memory left, I will see if I can use mums.
Where is Kat? She's been missing for 4 days, hope she is ok!

Back
Top Bottom