Chicken bobbing head Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 11langenkamp_w, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    I just recently bought a polish hen at a show. She was doing fine until today she is lowering her head very slowly for about 5 secs then jerks it back up really fast. And then the same happens on and on again. She isn't roosting like she normally does. But did lay today. would it be coccidi? What should I do? Thanks

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know, sounds like a tic of some type. Does she eat and drink okay?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her crop to see if it could be impacted. It sounds like she may be showing some signs of wry neck, which can include bobbing the neck sideways or up and down, twisting of the neck, walking in circles, or walking backward. Wry neck is just a neurological symptom of other problems such as a head or neck injury, a vitamin deficiency, or diseases such as Mareks, lymphiod leukosis, or things affecting the brain. Start her on some Poultry vitamins in the water that include Vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, and the mineral selenium. Selenium can also be given daily as a small amount of egg, chopped tuna, meat, or nuts and sunflower seeds. I like Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus vitamins from Tractor Supply, but many use baby vitamins such as PolyVisol without iron 2-3 drops daily by mouth.

4. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    Thanks for the replies, I gave her Corid and she came out of it within 24 hours and is doing great now. Im thinking coccidi maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by