Chicken bobbing head Help!

11langenkamp_w

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
sidney, ohio
I just recently bought a polish hen at a show. She was doing fine until today she is lowering her head very slowly for about 5 secs then jerks it back up really fast. And then the same happens on and on again. She isn't roosting like she normally does. But did lay today. would it be coccidi? What should I do? Thanks

I just recently bought a polish hen at a show. She was doing fine until today she is lowering her head very slowly for about 5 secs then jerks it back up really fast. And then the same happens on and on again. She isn't roosting like she normally does. But did lay today. would it be coccidi? What should I do? Thanks
Check her crop to see if it could be impacted. It sounds like she may be showing some signs of wry neck, which can include bobbing the neck sideways or up and down, twisting of the neck, walking in circles, or walking backward. Wry neck is just a neurological symptom of other problems such as a head or neck injury, a vitamin deficiency, or diseases such as Mareks, lymphiod leukosis, or things affecting the brain. Start her on some Poultry vitamins in the water that include Vitamin B1 thiamine, vitamin E, and the mineral selenium. Selenium can also be given daily as a small amount of egg, chopped tuna, meat, or nuts and sunflower seeds. I like Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus vitamins from Tractor Supply, but many use baby vitamins such as PolyVisol without iron 2-3 drops daily by mouth.

Back
Top Bottom