Chicken Book List?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rebelcowboysnb, Jun 23, 2011.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Looking for people to list the chicken related books they have that they really like. A sort of whats worth buying list. From how-to books to kids stories.

Links to them at bn.com or amazon.com or where ever would help a lot too.

An I'm sure Rob's 2 books will make someones list.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    These are my pics of some good reference books:
    "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens", by Gail Damerow, "Raising Chickens For Dummies", by Kimberley Willis and Rob Ludlow. "The Chicken Health Handbook", by Gail Damerow, [​IMG]

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    The only two I have that are helpful are Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens and The Chicken Health Handbook, both by Gail Damerow. I honestly don't think I need another book since I have those two, and BYC.

I don't have Rob's book, so I can't comment on it, but I would think it would be great as well.

4. rebelcowboysnb

The Chicken Health Handbook is a new name to me. I will look that one up....

I know more people on here read, or have we covered the extent of books that are worth having?

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hen, and the Art of Chicken Maintenance was a good one. Enslaved by Ducks is another one of my favorites. Those are more novels, but good none-the-less!
    http://www.amazon.com/Hen-Art-Chick...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308924832&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Enslaved-Duck...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308924852&sr=1-1

I also like the Extraordinary Chickens. It has beautiful pictures!
    http://www.amazon.com/Extraordinary-Chickens-Stephen-Green-Armytage/dp/0810933438

There are a few more, but I'll have to check my collection when I go home. I got several of these during a BYC swap from a BYCer!

6. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
  7. BobTarte

BobTarte New Egg

Apr 30, 2011
    Chickerdoodle, thanks so much for mentioning my book "Enslaved by Ducks!" I'm glad you enjoyed it. There's a sequel called "Fowl Weather" that's got lots about ducks, geese, and hens. And I just finished a new one that's mainly about our six cats called "The Funnel of Happiness." It will hit the shelves around March 2012.

8. rebelcowboysnb

[​IMG] Bob. You must have your books names saved as a Google search or something cause that was quick.

9. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Genetis of the Fowl by F. B. Hutt.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Bob, I didn't know you were a member on here! I absolutely loved your book. It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember it like yesterday and you had me cracking up hysterically! I will certainly have to get my hands on Fowl Weather. I'm sure it will be just as good as the last! I can't wait for your new book. That sounds wonderful! Be sure to keep us updated about when it hits shelves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by