chicken born with red bum

emmie lou

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Hi, I have hatched my first chickens the first 3 are doing well. how ever my 4th has a red lump stuck to it's bum, dose anyone know what it is? it is also strugling to stand up. it has tryed constantly through out the day. it seams lively enough and very cherpy.

It's the yolk sac. the chick has not fully absorbed it yet. check above the red bump, do you see the vent(pooper)
tongue.png
of the chick? If so then this confirms that the bump blow it is the yolk sac not fully absorbed.On the bump put a band aid over the red bump or something because if this sac breaks and starts leaking your chick will die. keep us posted. hope this helps thanx -mama bird-

Last edited:
How long should it take to absorb? or heal? I have seperated it from the other chicks as they had started to attack it. would a sticky plaster be ok????
hmm.png

Yes! that would be fine. It should take at least 4 days, in some cases its taken as long as 10 days. How is the chick now? its not too big of a bump is it? because if its half the size of a penny i dont think you need to put anything on it unless its starting to leak. hope this helps, have a good one mama bird

Thanks for the info, mama bird. I hatched my very first egg today. I have fallen hopelessly in love! And mine has the same exact problem. I read online that it might be the yolk sac infection and have been putting iodine on it, but after reading your post, I wish I would have let it alone.
It looks like a red protruding nub the size of my baby finger nail is coming out of the naval. Please tell me it will be ok.
Madly in love

Back
Top Bottom