Chicken Breed Focus - Ameraucana

Pics

Very cute chicks, looks like you have a nice little flock! They should lay a lot of beautiful eggs for you!

I got my first Ameraucana in 1977 when I was 10 yrs old. We had never seen one before, and thought it was a roo so we named it Gulliver. We changed her name to Girl-iver when she presented us with blue eggs! She was a Wheaten hen, and that is still my favorite color. My uncle brought us an old National Geographic with that crazy article about Araucanas. We never had another blue egg until I got some EEs from a hatchery in 1992, and again in 2002. Now I am waiting for my first true Ameraucana hatching eggs to arrive! Im so excited. It only took me 38 years. :)
I am glad people cared enough to preserve them!

Good luck with the upcoming hatch! Hope all the eggs arrive safely and you get lots of chicks, you have sure been waiting long enough for them! :)

On day 3 of incubation of a dozen ameraucana eggs ordered from BYCer evieshotchicks. Im so excited, its my first hatch!

Possibilities of black, blue, and splah!

Good luck with the incubation, may you wind up with plenty of chicks!

My daughter breeds raises and shows bantam Ameraucanas and LOVES them dearly.

That's awesome! Good for her. I love seeing kids involved in raising animals. Looks like she's doing well with her flock!

That's awesome! Good for her. I love seeing kids involved in raising animals. Looks like she's doing well with her flock!

She absolutely fell in love with this breed and these birds are her babies. She is interested in venturing into the LF now. She also enjoys her turkeys a lot.

This is my Ameraucana, Darla with my daughter. She is from my first attempt at incubating last summer. We have enjoyed her so much we decided to hatch some of her eggs
big_smile.png
Plus she lays eggs 6-7 days out of 7. She is an all around win.

Here are her babies, they are half Orpington. They are mutts, but I was hoping to get a few more good layers with Darla's sweet personality and my Roo needed a fertility check. Charlotte, Scarlett, and Violet. The one in the top right, Violet, may be a Vincent. He/she has some wattles coming in already under that adorable beard. Its quite cute.

And these Bantam Self Blue Ameraucana eggs are in my incubator, due May 9. I *need* to add some Wheatens and BBS to my flock too
lol.png
My poor husband
lol.png

Everyone has such lovely Amereaucana's or EE's! I never knew there was a difference between the breed. This has certainly taught me some things.
I'm pretty sure now that I probably have EE's who were sold off to me from a hatchery as Ameraucana's, but I love the light blue eggs my one little hen gives me all the same!
She looks more like a fat, fluffy quail than a chicken sometimes, haha! I don't have a good picture of her to share, unfortunately.

From my first hatch back in February of this year, I had two hybrid chicks:
This one here is Ameraucana (EE?) x Barred Rock.
It pulled Ameraucana strongly as a chick, but now that it's older it's turning more into the Rock side it seems.

And this one here is Ameraucana (EE?) x Jungle Fowl.
She has the fluffy cheeks like her daddy did, but the coloring of her Jungle mama.

Now I just got done with my second hatching of mainly Ameraucana eggs on April 28: 4 out of 10 eggs. A poor hatch due to my fault of waiting to place the eggs into the incubator after 2 weeks.
I should have expected the fertility rate in the eggs to drop as dramatically as it did. Still, living and learning.
I received three chicks that possess Ameraucana / EE traits. They're all fluffy little darlings~
2665.png

This was the first chick named Boss: a Buff Orpington x Ameraucana hybrid.
Has the fluffy cheeks just like the mom! Pulls all the color from the daddy, though.

This second chick is supposed to be all Ameraucana (EE?).
They have the fluffiest cheeks of all! So much so, that it's constantly going into it's eyes.
Very greenish legs. I heard a rumor that certain EE's are sex links and can be easily identified?

The third chick here is also all Ameraucana (EE?).
I was worried something was really wrong when it hatched -- like a hernia from the way it looked -- but it turns out it was just a small amount of unabsorbed yolk sac.
They're doing great now! Such a tiny thing. Legs are a lighter grey-green than the above sibling, however.

Back
Top Bottom