Chicken Breed Focus - Brahma

Pics
Florence Henderson is my light Brahma, who we received with my buff Brahmas. She’s got bell-bottomed feet :D
F825C208-F764-4CE1-A1F9-EA7A4B87E30B.jpeg
A39F3431-A541-481F-865F-A68432E6C7F7.jpeg
6FC10E8A-B0AA-4C87-B54C-373575625249.jpeg
EAEDAF94-C992-4CD9-B76E-042CDBAA9C97.jpeg
DD4E4799-38CD-45F9-AE08-A0600CFAE1C6.jpeg
0212F92C-E6BF-4E1E-98B1-F70B760A5A97.jpeg
4561ECB0-59B3-46EC-9DFC-2A343E8B899F.jpeg

I can’t imagine ever having a flock without at least one Light Brahma in it! Our littlest granddaughter Kendra (now 8) was born with Spina Bifida. She is also Autistic, mostly non-communicative (she can speak very well, can read and write, she just can‘t make verbal conversation), she’s developmentally delayed, and has seizures. But oh, how she loves the chickens, and has since she was just two years old.

Tank, a light Brahma, was the only one we kept out of the combination of 8 Buffs and 8 Lights we had. We got them as layers and meat birds, and after allowing them to mature and lay for a year, we followed the plan and did the processing - except for Tank! She was the friendliest, most curious, and Kendra loved to laugh at her as she lumbered across the yard in that peculiar “Brahma Run”. We had a black and white English setter with similar markings to Tank, and they were buddies. We used to call them “The Bookends”.

One day when Kendra was about 3 or 4, we had her outside in her wheelchair enjoying the late spring air, when suddenly Tank flew up into Kendra’s lap! Naturally if Kendra was outside she wasn’t left unattended for a second, especially if the chickens were also out, so I grabbed Tank and kinda tossed her to the ground. She flew right back up there. Kendra was laughing, flapping her arms and kicking, but Tank was totally unaffected. Ken was working on a project but I hollered at him to come and grab Tank and carry her off further, away from Kendra. Minutes later, guess who was back? This time I picked her up and gently placed her on Kendra’s lap. She snuggled right down as if she was supposed to be there. Suddenly Kendra took off in her wheelchair, giving Tank a ride! And that stupid, big black and white chicken sat there like Cleopatra riding in a chariot! Tank looked down at the other chickens and that unique, haughty Brahma face they all have made it look as though she was thinking, “Peons. Mere peons!” So riding in Kendra’s lap became a usual occurrence. I‘d take Kendra outside, strap her into her chair, and she’d be yelling, “Chicken! Chicken,” as Tank came waddling across the yard. Oh, how I wish I had pictures of that, but as I’ve said...if Kendra is outside I am not out there to focus on anything besides her. Things happen with her way too fast! Hindsight is 20/20....thinking back I probably did have opportunities to grab at least a few photos. But what if that was the one time I lost focus on Kendra and something happened? Nope.

We had to rehome our flock a little over 2 years ago due to my health and a travel schedule that would tax a 20 year old. We knew the man who was taking them very well, so we got regular updates. Tank adapted to her new home immediately, and began the habit of tapping on Jim’s glass doors first thing in the morning. He’d finish his coffee, go out and pick her up, and carry her down with him to do chores. Every morning!

Brahmas? Absolutely! Any bird that will race as fast as her chunky body will take her to make our Kendra smile and giggle is more than perfect for me! We are finally able to have chickens again, and Tank Two is doing very well!

I can’t imagine ever having a flock without at least one Light Brahma in it! Our littlest granddaughter Kendra (now 8) was born with Spina Bifida. She is also Autistic, mostly non-communicative (she can speak very well, can read and write, she just can‘t make verbal conversation), she’s developmentally delayed, and has seizures. But oh, how she loves the chickens, and has since she was just two years old.

Tank, a light Brahma, was the only one we kept out of the combination of 8 Buffs and 8 Lights we had. We got them as layers and meat birds, and after allowing them to mature and lay for a year, we followed the plan and did the processing - except for Tank! She was the friendliest, most curious, and Kendra loved to laugh at her as she lumbered across the yard in that peculiar “Brahma Run”. We had a black and white English setter with similar markings to Tank, and they were buddies. We used to call them “The Bookends”.

One day when Kendra was about 3 or 4, we had her outside in her wheelchair enjoying the late spring air, when suddenly Tank flew up into Kendra’s lap! Naturally if Kendra was outside she wasn’t left unattended for a second, especially if the chickens were also out, so I grabbed Tank and kinda tossed her to the ground. She flew right back up there. Kendra was laughing, flapping her arms and kicking, but Tank was totally unaffected. Ken was working on a project but I hollered at him to come and grab Tank and carry her off further, away from Kendra. Minutes later, guess who was back? This time I picked her up and gently placed her on Kendra’s lap. She snuggled right down as if she was supposed to be there. Suddenly Kendra took off in her wheelchair, giving Tank a ride! And that stupid, big black and white chicken sat there like Cleopatra riding in a chariot! Tank looked down at the other chickens and that unique, haughty Brahma face they all have made it look as though she was thinking, “Peons. Mere peons!” So riding in Kendra’s lap became a usual occurrence. I‘d take Kendra outside, strap her into her chair, and she’d be yelling, “Chicken! Chicken,” as Tank came waddling across the yard. Oh, how I wish I had pictures of that, but as I’ve said...if Kendra is outside I am not out there to focus on anything besides her. Things happen with her way too fast! Hindsight is 20/20....thinking back I probably did have opportunities to grab at least a few photos. But what if that was the one time I lost focus on Kendra and something happened? Nope.

We had to rehome our flock a little over 2 years ago due to my health and a travel schedule that would tax a 20 year old. We knew the man who was taking them very well, so we got regular updates. Tank adapted to her new home immediately, and began the habit of tapping on Jim’s glass doors first thing in the morning. He’d finish his coffee, go out and pick her up, and carry her down with him to do chores. Every morning!

Brahmas? Absolutely! Any bird that will race as fast as her chunky body will take her to make our Kendra smile and giggle is more than perfect for me! We are finally able to have chickens again, and Tank Two is doing very well!
Your story made me cry lol... thanks for sharing how wonderful these little creatures are to be so wonderful to a human creature. Boy, that must have just been something to see. Will you process chickens still or did it make you think differently?

Your story made me cry lol... thanks for sharing how wonderful these little creatures are to be so wonderful to a human creature. Boy, that must have just been something to see. Will you process chickens still or did it make you think differently?

Oh, we’ll still process. For us it’s all a package deal, and that’s part of the package. The older grandkids have never had issues with it, even when they were little, and Kendra has no real concept or understanding of anything but “Chickens!”. So we’re comfortable continuing what we were doing before our hiatus from chickens. Tank. Tank was special. She made her place in the family and we were more than happy to let her as long as Kendra enjoyed it and wasn’t hurt.

Back
Top Bottom