Chicken Breed Focus - d'Anvers Bantams

IMG_20180712_173828.jpg
I am a newbie to having chickens and a lady I got some other chicks from gave me a d'Anver along with a serama as they were best friends. He/she (not sure yet think a she) is a sweet little thing and so far, has not made a noise! Doesn't pick at the others even smaller ones.

· What made you decide to get this breed?
Liked the d'Uccle breed but too much maintenance.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
Breeding, but they are wonderfully sweet.

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
Their sweet nature, eagerness for food, flying ability, cuteness, large variety of colors, small size, low maintenance, and hardiness.

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

View attachment 1474794 I am a newbie to having chickens and a lady I got some other chicks from gave me a d'Anver along with a serama as they were best friends. He/she (not sure yet think a she) is a sweet little thing and so far, has not made a noise! Doesn't pick at the others even smaller ones.
That's a he. The males can be arrogant at times. And with the arrogance comes agressive capabilities. Once he starts crowing and bumbs you on the leg (if he will) remember that you can wear high boots and he is only like twice the size of your hand. (Not sure if it should be legal, but I punt them across the room like a football) or I pick them up and turn them upside down. Doesn't seem to do anything, but oh well.
Other roosters I've had are very sweet, though they don't like being touched like the hens do. Let's hope he's a nice one.
The only downfall I see to d'Anvers is their aggressiveness, but as long as you keep boots on you won't feel it. It does make them funny characters though. Who knew something so small would make an assault on something so much larger than it like a human? Armed only with spurs and wings?
Enjoy your d'Anvers, I hope he is nice.

IMG_4328.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG
I have 5 "blue quail" ordered from Ideal about 4 weeks ago. They were troopers, placed in a box with 15 full sized chicks. The size disparity was significant but they found a corner to cower in for the trip and made it without being trampled, surprisingly.
I wanted some super friendly birds with clean legs... no muddy foot feathers, a propensity to go broody and likely to be able to both fly and forage. I've discovered, with some research, a wide variety of colors can be found.
I'm happy with the birds so far with regards to their willingness to be handled but as can be seen from the pictures they are a poor example of the breed standard. One has a single comb and another has some faint leg feathering. Yet another seems to have no potential beard but maybe that will change in time. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing any addition birds of this breed from Ideal. I do have 15 standard quail ordered from McMurray this week.

Weigh in - Bearded D'anver's or EE? If d'anver, what is the name of the color, just red?

Attachments

• 20180925_110022.jpg
    20180925_110022.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180925_110024.jpg
    20180925_110024.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180925_110005.jpg
    20180925_110005.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180925_110103.jpg
    20180925_110103.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 35
This is our d'Anver, Baby. She's the smallest chicken we have and we absolutely adore her. Shes the only chicken that lets our son pick her up. We got her from TSC bantam bin and we're really lucky to have her.

Attachments

• 20180720_182615.jpg
    20180720_182615.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 35
This may be a silly question, but will D’Anver pullets comb turn red like a larger hen when she is ready to lay? I have 2 D’Anver pullets and one cockerel, but I don’t know how old they are. I am think 18-20 weeks, but really it is a guess. I keep watching for signs of egg laying, but not seeing any.

Back
Top Bottom