Chicken Breed Focus - Delaware

I have one Delaware-wish I had two. She is so stark out there with all the reds, blacks and browns in line. She and one of by Bared Rocks are my favorite.

On the other pages my sweet Snow White has been the center of my photos. She is my first layer, quiet compared to the Cochin and the alpha.
[/IMG]

I had two Delawares, Sassy and Frass. We ended up rehoming Sassy at 14 months - she was our baby - ran up to sit on our laps every time she saw us.... but she was not only an alpha hen, she was a bit... confused. She laid beautiful eggs but kept mounting all of our hens. We felt she would do better with a roo (and that our flock would do better without that stress). And we were right, thankfully. We found a farm who took her and paired her with a roo - they called and said two things.1. Sassy will be their death, since she loves to be right at their feet all the time LOL and 2. They had never seen love at first sight until they saw Sassy with her roo. He stays in a little tiny run, and when they let Sassy out, she pecks at the door until they let her back with her man.
We still have Frass - she is a marvelous egg layer!

That wasn't a criticism, I am profoundly impressed.
thumbsup.gif

Mine are boring names: Lucy, Roxy, Della, etc....BORING
I didn't think it was, It's all good. Our others are buttercup, duchess, cinnamon, pansy, rosie, rainbow, and skittles. It's easy to see which ones she has been allowed to name. She has a vivid imagination. lol

Quote: You can certainly count on kids to come up with great chicken names. I had a little hen called "Ice Cream" once… And I recently became the proud owner of a beautiful LF game cock called Pip Squeak… (I was given the game by someone and he was named by by my 10yo)

Back
Top Bottom