Chicken Breed Focus - Derbyshire Redcap

Now those are closer to what I think of, but I fear overdoing the Cock's comb would make more vision impaired than a Silkie or Polish.
Beautuful chicken def adding some to my list for next time I order chicks... which hatchery has the best strain...I usually go with Cackle....they actually good quality

which hatchery has the best strain...I usually go with Cackle....
Cackle does not carry these. The only hatcheries I’ve found to order Redcaps from are Murray McMurray and Sandhill. And I was not happy with the quality of chicks from either one. Sandhill’s grew up ugly (maybe a stage of a project?) and Mcmurray’s didn’t grow up at all. (Actually, one pullet reached laying age and I was able to hatch 5 mixed breed chicks from her before she too died.
If you are serious about Redcaps, there is a Facebook group for them. You might be able to find a breeder there.

Cackle does not carry these. The only hatcheries I’ve found to order Redcaps from are Murray McMurray and Sandhill. And I was not happy with the quality of chicks from either one. Sandhill’s grew up ugly (maybe a stage of a project?) and Mcmurray’s didn’t grow up at all. (Actually, one pullet reached laying age and I was able to hatch 5 mixed breed chicks from her before she too died.
If you are serious about Redcaps, there is a Facebook group for them. You might be able to find a breeder there.
Awe man! Sorry that happened. I stopped buying from MM years ago when I used to have just red stars or whatever theyre called...and 2 seperate batches 2 years in a row...one by one all became eggbound and I had to cull. That never happened from any other hatchery... Since then Ive shyed away from MM and red stars all together.

I think that is the breed's problem, not so much the hatchery. The various sex Linked "breeds" are notorious for that, although I have not heard about the "amber link", though I saw them at a trailer Park once.

Awe man! Sorry that happened. I stopped buying from MM years ago when I used to have just red stars or whatever theyre called...and 2 seperate batches 2 years in a row...one by one all became eggbound and I had to cull. That never happened from any other hatchery... Since then Ive shyed away from MM and red stars all together.
I think that is the breed's problem, not so much the hatchery. The various sex Linked "breeds" are notorious for that, although I have not heard about the "amber link", though I saw them at a trailer Park once.
I agree. I wouldn’t judge MM just because the Redcaps were bad. It’s a troubled breed, and that’s why they are not readily available from all the hatcheries. And chckncrazy’s problem with the red stars is the same problem any sex link breed from anywhere will have, as ChemicalchiCkns pointed out.
I also got Black Langshans and White Langshans from MM that year, and those were fine. And they had great customer service. :thumbsup

W

These are my pair of Red Caps from Murray McMurray Hatchery. The hen is quite a productive gal. We let them free range on our farm. We have hatched out offspring this year in our incubator, and are curious to see how they turn out. At the time of this posting, the pair is 15 months old.
ould love to buy some , any rxtras

Back
Top Bottom