Chicken Breed Focus - Dominique

I have about 30 American Dominiques. They are the second oldest breed developed in the US and current representatives differ markedly from what they where during their heyday. As the breed was challenged by new breeds, Black Java was introduced to create changes that exist to this day. As a result I am trying to revers the process and calling the product the Missouri Dominique which will be closer to the heyday birds.

We love ours!!!
I am not sure if mine is pure bred, but the one they sold me as Dominique has a very unique character.

· What made you decide to get this breed?
We wanted a barred rock first, but I saw how this was in the danger list, so we decided to try both!
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
We have it for eggs!
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
Our chick is very happy, she is so perky and an escape artist, I can't believe how fast 7 weeks chicken runs. She was also the first of our flock to learn to use the coop stars up and down.
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

7 weeks (Yesterday)

6 weeks

5 weeks

4 weeks

3 weeks

2 weeks

1 week

1 day
Great pictures. I love the progression! Where did you get them?

I have about 30 American Dominiques. They are the second oldest breed developed in the US and current representatives differ markedly from what they where during their heyday. As the breed was challenged by new breeds, Black Java was introduced to create changes that exist to this day. As a result I am trying to revers the process and calling the product the Missouri Dominique which will be closer to the heyday birds.
Can you post a picture of some of the qualities you have refined?

Our Dominiques are about 11 weeks old, 14 pullets and 6 cockerels. This is our first time with chickens(well, mom had some that we raised for fryers, but i was a kid, then, and am in sixties, now.)

Figured that since we are out in the country and growing most of our veggies, may as well make it a meal by adding some homegrown eggs and occasional chicken. Our state is smack dab in the middle of north america, so America's 'first chicken' seemed logical and the Dominique was always on the top of the 'chicken search' list for what i wanted. We need a bird that can take the cold and the heat.

Hi Zone3Dakota, I'm from Central North Dakota and have two Dominique hens that came from a hatchery with an assortment of other breeds. They are nice hardworking hens that love to forage. If we decide to have purebred chickens, we have chosen the Dominique breed for us. Your Dominiques are lovely! Best Regards, Central Flyway

So true about popularity. My mother-in-law, who is 82, says that when she was growing up everyone had Dominique chickens. When I had a barred rock, she thought that it was a Dominique.
My grandparents are around that age and they have all asked me the same thing about my Barred rocks!

The Dominique is beautiful!
I'm still learning every day, have only had chickens abt 6 yrs.
Still learning what is Standard & apparently I may have a few pure but many mixed...it's all good, I love them all. So what I see is that Dominique & Barred Rock have similar feather pattern but the combs are definitely different. My 1st chickens, 2 Barred Rocks were a gift. Obviously not show quality, & here they're not pretty, molting, but they are a hardy bird.

I wondered, do the Barred Rocks & Dominiques have similar sounding voices? My Barred Rocks sound very distinctive from my Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, RIR & Marans & my Roo is quite loud. Just curious...

Attachments

• 20200916_105430.jpg
    20200916_105430.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 1
I've had so many people that come to my house that the birds I have are not Dominique. Is there another breed of bird that shares characteristics?

Back
Top Bottom