Chicken Breed Focus - Isbar (Blue Isbar)

Pics
I am raising my first bunch of Isbar chickens from Greenfire Farm and I LOVE them. I wound up with four roosters (2 blue, 1 black, and 1 splash) and the rest black pullets. Some of the ladies have a pronounced khaki colored collar, some have a varying degree of one, and some are just pure black. The black feathers sometimes look like they have a mallard green sheen and other times have a rich purple sheen. Here is one gal (caught stealing a sip of dog water) who has a more pronounced collar
I find them to be EGGSELLENT foragers
lol.png
, as well as inquisitive and friendly. I have not lost any to predators (yet) as I have other breeds (yes- there are breeds I have discovered I just can't keep around because they will mingle with the skunks or invite the hawks to tea
wink.png
)
I am just now starting to get EGGS!! It is the best treasure hunt every day, because not all eggs are the same! Sometimes I have a hard time telling them from the Cream Legbar eggs, but other times the greens are just simply mindblowing! Here is a picture of two that I collected yesterday afternoon
Here is one of my roosters who is 15 weeks old now

And I can't leave out Hank... He is also 15 weeks old, and he is the most vocal and the sweetest of all the roos- used to jump into my lap and hang his head over my arm and go to sleep!! Now he's too big and "grown up" for such nonsense
hit.gif
Awwww he is beautiful

Here are some of the different egg colors mine lay. Pleasantly surprised when our blue Isbar pullet laid pastel orangy/tan color.
View attachment 2498242
Silverudd’s Blue shouldn’t lay tan. Her parents must have some tan genes too. If you decide to breed, please exclude her from your breeding group. If you bought her from a breeder, let them know ASAP, so they can investigate their lines. Thanks for helping get the breed back to all blue egg genes!

I think you test your rooster's genes by his offspring's egg coloring. If you're getting brown, it's possible your sire roo has some other breed involved.
If the hen lays tan/brown, she received one tan gene from each parent. Homozygous tan. If she has tan and blue, she will lay green eggs. Ideally you would have a homozygous blue rooster, and all of his offspring would have the desired blue-green color!

Silverudd’s Blue shouldn’t lay tan. Her parents must have some tan genes too. If you decide to breed, please exclude her from your breeding group. If you bought her from a breeder, let them know ASAP, so they can investigate their lines. Thanks for helping get the breed back to all blue egg genes!

I admit that I didn't read this entire thread.
I have a Blue Cockerel (although not 100% proper on everything even though he's gorgeous). Is he referred to as a "Blue Silverudd's Blue" or just "Silverudd's Blue"? Thank you

I have a Blue Cockerel (although not 100% proper on everything even though he's gorgeous). Is he referred to as a "Blue Silverudd's Blue" or just "Silverudd's Blue"? Thank you
Both! 😊
His breed is Silverudd's Blue and if he's a "blue" (of the BBS possibilities) then that's his color as well!

I would call him a "blue Silverudd's Blue"...do you have pics?

We LOVE our isbars! They are exquisitely friendly and lay the most beautiful eggs. You ca see pictures of them running around on our farm website http://www.alchemistfarm.com :)

I highly recommend them!
I have a question has anyone mixed these with anything I think my beautiful mutt rooster makes the most beautiful babies and he looks identical to the isbar even pattern wise with the brown on the wings exactly and so do alllll of his blue sons . I actually breed him with my kelso game and a black star and got every male with his brown wing coloring

I have a question has anyone mixed these with anything I think my beautiful mutt rooster makes the most beautiful babies and he looks like the isbar even pattern wise on the wings exactly and so do alllll of his blue sons . I actually breed him with my kelso game r and got every male with his brown wing coloring
These are the game mixes

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_144605.jpg
    IMG_20220120_144605.jpg
    918.1 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom