Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Pics
Over the past two years, I have mention Malines on several occasions and posted an old postcard photo of the Golden Turkeyheaded Maline. Finding a source for eggs has been difficult. Does anyone know if there are any in the US?

@Shellz , we have had conversations about your Malines and I'm sorry that you have decided not to continue breeding for now...sure hope that changes...but appreciate your involvement as a mentor.

I am still interested in beginning a breeding pen for Malines.

Last edited:
Only a select few have the Malines breed in the U.S. unlike our Canadian friends whom are expanding quite nicely. I am so looking forward to sharing eggs with you to expand its numbers as best as possible.
My good friend Shelley Scott said to say Hi and remembers your conversations well. She wishes us the best in our endeavors using the cochins.

Only a select few have the Malines breed in the U.S. unlike our Canadian friends whom are expanding quite nicely. I am so looking forward to sharing eggs with you to expand its numbers as best as possible.
  My good friend Shelley Scott said to say Hi and remembers your conversations well. She wishes us the best in our endeavors using the cochins.

Hi right back at you Shelley!
Yes, I'm already looking at pen assignments for grow out and breeding seasons next year to determine the best locations for the chicks that may hatch from the eggs. Fortunately, I have the luxury of plenty of open space to add another coop and pen should I think it necessary.

@Our Roost As an outcross, what about the Breda Gueldre? One of the parent birds for this breed was the Malines. Some history on the Breda from their BYC thread was in this referenced site.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Breda/BBKBreda/html

One of the members who has posted on that thread has recently moved to Oklahoma and has a few Blue pullets available. Might be worth a looksee if doing an outcross would be worth the purchase.

Also another member on that thread is getting out of the Cuckoo Breda. Since the Breda is uniquely the only chicken without a comb, I wonder if that "color" would help create the Cuckoo Turkey-headed Maline as a project. Certainly would not be a Golden, but could be similar.

NanaKat, I am not even closely familiar with this breed let alone even hear of it. The Feathersite link was a bust and didn't come thru. I might try just pulling up feathersite.com and see what I get. Certainly would be interesting to check it out and see the stats on it. Sounds more like creating another breed than salvaging one. Wonder what it tastes like! Yum. I had more interest in the izegemese. (spelling)
Any additional info you might want on how the malines behave in and out of the coop might be helpful if you opt to build a coop or just separate them. Always here to provide thoughts and any help I can be.
frow.gif

NanaKat, I am not even closely familiar with this breed let alone even hear of it. The Feathersite link was a bust and didn't come thru. I might try just pulling up feathersite.com and see what I get. Certainly would be interesting to check it out and see the stats on it. Sounds more like creating another breed than salvaging one. Wonder what it tastes like! Yum. I had more interest in the izegemese. (spelling)
Any additional info you might want on how the malines behave in and out of the coop might be helpful if you opt to build a coop or just separate them. Always here to provide thoughts and any help I can be.
frow.gif
Try the link in post #6 on the Breda thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561974/breda-fowl-thread
From what I understand, the Maline meat quality was carried into the Breda making it a succulent meat bird too.

We have coyotes here that jump 4 foot fences, so the pen will have higher fencing.
Because of the size of the Malines, I'm thinking 16 inch wide coop openings and nest boxes similar to my Cochins.
Would that be about right?

My pens have standard 3 foot and 4 foot wide gates so allowing birds out to free range is easy.
Do Malines stay close to their pen/coop when they free range? I have Wyandotte that will range as far as 50 yards from the barn but come running when called. It would be nice if the Maline don't go as far.

Oh Boy, where do I start. Happy Monday? First off I don't free range any of my birds because of the surroundings predator problems. I have 2 coops and 2 runs. The malines are kept in their own coop and have their own stretch in a fenced run area. Fencing in both my runs is 4 ft. high. A few coyote yowls at night but no threat as yet. Have never seen any coyote or fox in the 5 years I have been up here farming chickens. We have more problems with Red tailed hawks, raccoons, and opossums. The predator Growth and population is really down this year due to extreme heavy snow and cold the last couple of years. No food forage for them I guess.
Nesting boxes! Well, you may find most of your malines eggs on the floor of the coop or in corners. Not to say they wont use nesting boxes if properly set up. 15 inches in width and depth per box is the perfect formula.They prefer a heavy straw base inside during the winter months. I use pine shavings during the summer for easy poop cleanup. Keep your roosts and also the nesting boxes near or almost ground level as these birds are ground thumpers and don't fly because of their weight when they reach maturity. I will try to forward you a few picutres of my coops and you can formulate your own ideas.
You had better hope my spring breeding selections are a success or this could be all for naught! You would be the first person I am able to share hatching eggs with since I got these birds. Its been a long journey and we have yet to have enough birds to even eat one! Trust that our mouths are watering!
tongue2.gif

Oh Boy, where do I start. Happy Monday? First off I don't free range any of my birds because of the surroundings predator problems. I have 2 coops and 2 runs. The malines are kept in their own coop and have their own stretch in a fenced run area. Fencing in both my runs is 4 ft. high. A few coyote yowls at night but no threat as yet. Have never seen any coyote or fox in the 5 years I have been up here farming chickens. We have more problems with Red tailed hawks, raccoons, and opossums. The predator Growth and population is really down this year due to extreme heavy snow and cold the last couple of years. No food forage for them I guess.
Nesting boxes! Well, you may find most of your malines eggs on the floor of the coop or in corners. Not to say they wont use nesting boxes if properly set up. 15 inches in width and depth per box is the perfect formula.They prefer a heavy straw base inside during the winter months. I use pine shavings during the summer for easy poop cleanup. Keep your roosts and also the nesting boxes near or almost ground level as these birds are ground thumpers and don't fly because of their weight when they reach maturity. I will try to forward you a few picutres of my coops and you can formulate your own ideas.
You had better hope my spring breeding selections are a success or this could be all for naught! You would be the first person I am able to share hatching eggs with since I got these birds. Its been a long journey and we have yet to have enough birds to even eat one! Trust that our mouths are watering!
tongue2.gif
That is the same set up I have for my Cochins. Also non-flyers and lovers of the low ground. Straw in winter and wood shavings in summer.
I am so excited about the prospect of eggs this spring and appreciate efforts in growing these magnificent birds!

Back
Top Bottom