Chicken Breed Focus - Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    WOW :love

2. LaurEliz

LaurEliz Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Central Illinois
    My Coop
    Out of all Orpingtons, I have only ever had buff orpingtons. They have proven time and time again to be the sweetest, friendliest chickens I have ever met. I'd never have a flock without them. :)

22365665_1924704507546378_1726739119383783490_n[1].jpg

Trux likes this.
  3. nerfworthy

nerfworthy Songster

Mar 29, 2018
    South Western Idaho
    I chose them initially for cold hardiness and good egg productivity, but grew to love the buff color and turns out they have the most outgoing, inquisitive, and sweet personalities of all my chickens!!

Trux likes this.
  4. camocutey

camocutey In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2018
    Peyton, Colorado
    I love Orpingtons as well. I have ordered 1 male and 3 female lavenders, so I can start breeding and selling them. They are so beautiful and amazing!

Trux likes this.
  5. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
  6. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    I wouldn't be to worried, they still are growing. I have 5 buffs and they all were different sizes at that age. Now at 10 months they are all pretty much the same size except for one, and she isn't that much smaller. As for the worm thing ACV is supposed to help prevent worms from what I been reading. But everyone has different opinions on what and how to worm chickens, so do your home work :)

8. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I have had my 6 BOs for 2+ years. I chose them based on their high ratings for temperament and egg production. I absolutely love them! I've tried to have other breeds, but ended up keeping only the Orps until I recently had one of my broodies hatch some barnyard mix eggs. She's a great mama! Still watching over them at 5 weeks, even though she's laying again.

9. Where I live you can actually starve to death eating rabbits.
    Where I live we need fat and protien..... ....if you're going to be outside as much as I am.
    Point? you ask.
    Rabbits are pretty much straight ultra lean protien. They got no fat. They eat like you're feeding your chickens.
    Let your chickens eat bugs, worms, dandelion, grass seeds, weeds and whole corn, wheat, and oats. They'll even eat mice, snakes, rotting flora and fauna, rabbits, mights, earthworms, DungBall Beetles and fish.
    Lettuce and stuff are nice treats but chickens are naturally prettymuch a scavenging opportunist.
    The more varied their diet the healthier they are.
    Just don't give them too much bread and no margarine.
    Good luck

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Jac Jac likes this.
  10. 04-07-15 Silvers & skip 167.JPG
    Pure English Silver laced Orpington "Skip"

Angileen and Pickled Plaid like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: