Chicken Breed Focus - Orpington

Out of all Orpingtons, I have only ever had buff orpingtons. They have proven time and time again to be the sweetest, friendliest chickens I have ever met. I'd never have a flock without them. :)

22365665_1924704507546378_1726739119383783490_n[1].jpg

I chose them initially for cold hardiness and good egg productivity, but grew to love the buff color and turns out they have the most outgoing, inquisitive, and sweet personalities of all my chickens!!

We have a mixed flock, 5 are Orps 3 are buff and 2 are white. We love the breed and the eggs are nice sized. We recently got two more, right now are about 9 weeks old. One is a Black SL Roo and a SL Blue pullet

Need some EXPERT ADVICE....
I have 4 Buffs that will be about 22wks Monday/Sept 4. Hubby & I were curious as to how much they weighed, guessing 5# but now concerned cause I weighed them (2#, 3#, 3.5#, 3.75#) couple days ago. I feed them fermented Flock Raiser as much as they'll eat, est 1 - 1.5cups of dry feed a day. They get Romaine lettuce, Spinach, Papaya, Oatmeal, BOSS, Freeze Dried MW, tomato, bananas, raisins, other good stuff for treats, not all at once but a cup or two. ACV in their water which get changed daily. They are confined to their enclosure (8x12x7) hard clay ground with good layer of shavings. I scoop the poop from the poop board daily & pick up whatever I see in the shavings.

Someone told me they're underweight & should be wormed. I was wondering but I also don't believe in treatment unless needed but do believe in prevention. They are hatchery stock that I got from CL when they were 8wks old.

What do you all think, they're not "quality" stock but their health matters to me. What should they weigh at 22wks? Worm even if no health issues & none found?
I wouldn't be to worried, they still are growing. I have 5 buffs and they all were different sizes at that age. Now at 10 months they are all pretty much the same size except for one, and she isn't that much smaller. As for the worm thing ACV is supposed to help prevent worms from what I been reading. But everyone has different opinions on what and how to worm chickens, so do your home work :)

View attachment 1439443

Cooper is our Special friend...Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpington was a perfect example of what a Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpington should be. Many thanks to Mark Sarce and Bob Follows for importing these quality English Orpingtons from the Netherlands. Cooper was admired all over Europe as a outstanding English Spangle/Mottle Orpington. What we did was share Coopers offspring's with other breeders that also wanted to make a difference in creating and establishing a quality Spangle/Mottle Orpington in the USA...this was done. Yes, Cooper was the Foundation Father to all of the Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons we see today. Thankful many of his offspring's have been passed down to continue in his foot steps. This is also a color of Orpingtons that have a standard guidance to breed for the standard that is asked for. Not too much white should be seen but merely a mostly all black chicken with beautiful white speckling, this is called a "Spangle" Cooper is merely called a "Mottle" as he carries too much white in his feather pattern. Yes, he does pass along the Spangle coloring that is much more desired, but it is a start.
View attachment 1439443

I have had my 6 BOs for 2+ years. I chose them based on their high ratings for temperament and egg production. I absolutely love them! I've tried to have other breeds, but ended up keeping only the Orps until I recently had one of my broodies hatch some barnyard mix eggs. She's a great mama! Still watching over them at 5 weeks, even though she's laying again.

Need some EXPERT ADVICE....
I have 4 Buffs that will be about 22wks Monday/Sept 4. Hubby & I were curious as to how much they weighed, guessing 5# but now concerned cause I weighed them (2#, 3#, 3.5#, 3.75#) couple days ago. I feed them fermented Flock Raiser as much as they'll eat, est 1 - 1.5cups of dry feed a day. They get Romaine lettuce, Spinach, Papaya, Oatmeal, BOSS, Freeze Dried MW, tomato, bananas, raisins, other good stuff for treats, not all at once but a cup or two. ACV in their water which get changed daily. They are confined to their enclosure (8x12x7) hard clay ground with good layer of shavings. I scoop the poop from the poop board daily & pick up whatever I see in the shavings.

Someone told me they're underweight & should be wormed. I was wondering but I also don't believe in treatment unless needed but do believe in prevention. They are hatchery stock that I got from CL when they were 8wks old.

What do you all think, they're not "quality" stock but their health matters to me. What should they weigh at 22wks? Worm even if no health issues & none found?

Where I live you can actually starve to death eating rabbits.
Where I live we need fat and protien..... ....if you're going to be outside as much as I am.
Point? you ask.
Rabbits are pretty much straight ultra lean protien. They got no fat. They eat like you're feeding your chickens.
Let your chickens eat bugs, worms, dandelion, grass seeds, weeds and whole corn, wheat, and oats. They'll even eat mice, snakes, rotting flora and fauna, rabbits, mights, earthworms, DungBall Beetles and fish.
Lettuce and stuff are nice treats but chickens are naturally prettymuch a scavenging opportunist.
The more varied their diet the healthier they are.
Just don't give them too much bread and no margarine.
Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom