Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C just 1 more cup pls Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Excellent post [​IMG]

And great pictures everyone, I'm really enjoying this breed focus!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Central Florida Poultry Breeders Association Show, Inverness, FL.
    2015 Citrus Classic
    Fall Show October 24th 2015
    9:00 AM TO 4:00 PM
    Citrus County Fairgrounds
    3600 South Florida Ave.
    Inverness, Florida
    ---> MAP
    (U.S. Highway 41 South - 1.5 miles south of the intersection of U.S. highways 44 & 41)
    Spring Show Catalog --->TBA
    Spring Entry Form ---> TBA

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

[​IMG]

The Tennessee Valley Poultry Club will host the National Rhode Island Red exhibition in Knoxville, Dec 5-6. Everyone gets a chance to see some of the nation's best Reds on display and chat with some of the very best breeders of Reds, that would be a great place to right in the middle of the action.

4. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm sticking with my original guesses but there's a special area and thread spesially for these questions it's called breed discussion

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here are another couple of shows for anyone interested.

Florida Sunshine Classic Poultry Show
    (Always the second Saturday in January)
    438 SW State Road 247
    Lake City, FL 32025
    Columbia County Fairgrounds
    ---> MAP
    Danny & Norma Padgett
    15930 W State Road 238
    Lake Butler, Florida 32054
    386-496-2561

Chattahoochee Valley Association Poultry show, Newnan, Georgia
    February 2016 (the 3rd Saturday)
    Coweta County Fairgrounds
    275 Pine Road
    Newnan, GA 30263
    Show Secretary:
    Beth & Jerry Smith
    Telephone: 706-973-7299
    Email: [email protected]
    President:
    Bryan Massengale
    Telephone: 770-900-1669
    Email: [email protected]
    This is one of the largest shows in the southeast.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oops (double post) [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Flock Master

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Great info everyone, thank you very much. But btw, I wasn't trying to put down hatchery birds or anything, I was just curious. I actually just ordered some.hatchery chicks the other night :) Not RIRs though because I've heard the hatchery RIRs can be mean which is why I didn't get any but yeah. I'd like to eventually find some breeder ones though, maybe next year. I got BR, BA, BO, EE, and a free chick. 9 total, 2 each except the free. Maybe the free one will be an RIR lol but hatchery birds can definitely be great, especially if it's just for backyard eggs and pets, like mine, and not for show. Some are really pretty too amd I've even heard of some hatchery ones winning at shows, depending on hatchery and breed. I've heard if grand champions even. Not with RIRs though I don't think. Hatcheries also happen to be most convenient and cost effective for me so definitely love them :) I'd love to eventually add some breeder ones thougg but these are our first chicks so we'll stick with them for now. Anyway, I find the differences between them so interesting. I also find it interesting how hatcheries all label them differently. Like some are just RIRs, some are RIR with mention that they are production strain and/or not for show, some sell both, some just sell them as PRs etc. etc. I find it interesting. And also I guess you're right about no breed police (That was funny :D) but it seems to me if they're so vastly different or mixed they wouldn't even be the same breed? But ah well. I'm sure both are equally as awesome

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I hope I haven't offended anyone. I did post some pictures so people could see the differences. I love all of my birds. I have some hatchery birds and others I have hatched out. I am a hatch-a-holic. I love to hatch and watch the chicks grow.

9. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Hatchery chicks arnt mean unless grown in a over crowded pen but that's any chicken... In general hens adapt to their surroundings so be nice to them and they will be nice to you it's really only the Roos that have issues but again give him plenty of space and hens he will be fine

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree. Once in a great while someone may get a aggressive male. Mine went to an auction along with an aggressive hen. I figured maybe in a new place where they were at the bottom of the pecking order in a new flock they may behave, otherwise off to freezer camp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by