Chicken Breed Focus Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Sep 17, 2015.

1. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my goodness, how do you keep that many roosters? Do they get along?

Bartering for feed, that sounds like a great idea.

I just hatched chicks two weeks ago from an incubator we bought online. I sold 20 of them to a lady today.

No, we didn't put him in the freezer. Probably should have but for two days I was on crutches from the spurring and my husband wouldn't have wanted to it.

We live in a very small town so not many people here have chickens. I haven't had any problem selling eggs. There's been times my eggs were sold before they were even laid.

2. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    If raised by a hatchery or big egg farm they can be mean but if raised as a backyard flock they can be nice depends on how you treat them
    Isa browns are similar

3. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I use to have a RIR rooster but I have to butcher it because my neighbors complain. Now I have a RIR hen and she keeps laying double yolk eggs like once every couple days. So special chicken! Thanks God!

1 person likes this.
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I hatched out probably close to 300 chicks this year. Some of the hatches were for friends. I sell all of my eggs too. I sell out most every day. I got a late start with my hatching this year so my chicks probably have another couple of months before they start to lay. I had to sell some of my older gals who were still laying very well because I needed space in the coops. That is why I have so many males, from hatching. My husband wants to process some of them but we still have quite a lot in the freezer from last year. I want to sell what I can or barter for feed. I go through around 300 lbs of feed a week.
    [​IMG]
    I hatch in these
    [​IMG]
    My incubator
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RIR-YELLOWLEGS

RIR-YELLOWLEGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Georgia
    My Coop
    Cmom I have to had to ya ,you got some very beautiful RIRs in this pic and that *Rooster*Is like WOW[​IMG]

6. daskhan

daskhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Where are you located and what type of deal are we talking about? I would like some more rir specially different gene pool

7. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Is there another bird like the Rhode island red?
    Cheers
    I live in UK so need hardy egglaying

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You should be able to find RIR in the UK. I know at least breeder here in Ireland that may be able to help you with some eggs if you're interested. Have you looked through the breeder's directory in the Practical Poultry magazine?

9. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    Sorry I meant a bird like rir because I don't want pecking
    In my flock and heard so many stories about Rhode island red
    Cheers worms

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida