Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Aug 27, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Thank you. I was so amazed that I got one to stand still long enough not to blur the pic!

2. Madison-Jamil

Madison-Jamil Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2015
    Oregon City, Oregon
    I love the polish traits coming out in their head feathers! You can always get some fertilized eggs shipped to you and then mate your guy to a hen from the eggs :) There really doesn't seem to be many Sebright breeders around.

1 person likes this.
  3. Madison-Jamil

Apr 23, 2015
    Oregon City, Oregon

Thanks for sharing pics of your babies. The Cochin mix really does fill out the chest more. Looks like a couple got the feathered feet trait too, how fun!

4. Halloweengirl13

Halloweengirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Valdosta Ga
    Close up of the one without the fuzzy legs .

[​IMG]

5. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado

Me too! My Sebright is my first chicken & these two were my first hatches, so I really liked the combination of the the breeds. I was considering trying to find hatching eggs - just have to find a breeder! :D I'm very glad this breed was my intro to chickens.

6. Madison-Jamil

Apr 23, 2015
    Oregon City, Oregon

She is quite exotic looking, the blackish comb is very nice too. I think my guy would have awesome babies with my grey/gold EE but she isn't taking him seriously. He does a stellar dance with his wing dropped and really lays it on thick but she just isn't taking him seriously :/ Stewart definitely needs a Sebright girl in his flock.

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    A few new pics of my 8-week olds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Our Sebright has been flying up into the trees during the day. I haven't worried much about it because she's always near (technically above) the flock. She's also always back inside the coop at night. Is this normal? or Will she venture further as she matures? She's a little over 4 months.

Also, at what age do they begin to lay? Days are getting shorter, so I'm sure it will take longer for her.

9. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Sebrights are unique birds, my sebrights and sebright mixes seem to prefer to hang out with one another instead of the other chickens. However, they do hang out with other bantams if raised with them. They also love to fly up high, ours go up into the rafters and hay loft of the barn.
    Sebrights are pretty good layers as far as bantams go, but likely won't start laying until 20-28 weeks of age.

10. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    My Sebright's BFF is a Dominique. They're always together & usually following me around. The Sebright seems to have rubbed off on the Dom. Today while feeding some treats, the Dom flew up & landed on my head. (Common antics for the Sebright, but I wasn't expecting the weight of a larger bird. She caught me off-guard. [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by