Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
Does anyone else have a Sebright that converses? Ours prefers to be treated like a parrot. If we offer her a finger, she'll jump on. I often talk to her, and she makes eye contact. When I pause, she makes gentle little conversation noises in response. I amuse myself (& others if they hear us) by pretending to understand the Sebright and make up silly conversations.

Just wondering if this is common. I think I read somewhere that these were chatty birds, but I never thought she would try to actually mimic conversation. I have a talkative Sussex mix. Of course all of her conversations are merely begging for treats. She simply follows me around with a long, low grumbly "Baaaaaaaaawk."

That is really funny. All of mine are really chatty when I'm in there with them. They also start calling demandingly when they hear the gate that means I'm coming up to the coop.

One of them distinguished herself from the others when they were still little in the basement. Whenever I came in the room she flew up to sit on the fence right by me to say hello. If there's nothing to sit on, she'll fly up and sit on me. She still does it now, whatever I'm doing in the coop, she is right there. I'm going to try to have a conversation with her today!

Does anyone else have a Sebright that converses? Ours prefers to be treated like a parrot. If we offer her a finger, she'll jump on. I often talk to her, and she makes eye contact. When I pause, she makes gentle little conversation noises in response. I amuse myself (& others if they hear us) by pretending to understand the Sebright and make up silly conversations.

Just wondering if this is common. I think I read somewhere that these were chatty birds, but I never thought she would try to actually mimic conversation. I have a talkative Sussex mix. Of course all of her conversations are merely begging for treats. She simply follows me around with a long, low grumbly "Baaaaaaaaawk."
Mine is a little bit, but he's more into preening my hair or using me as his safe spot when his son tries to attack him. My tiny d'Anvers, on the other hand, is SUPER chatty with me and it is hilarious. I was really surprised to find out how much personality each chicken has, especially the Sebright. I didn't have much experience with chickens before he showed up, and the experience I did have wasn't great.

Has anyone noticed Sebright hens crowing more than expected?

I started out with 22 sebright hens that hatched in mid-March. All the boys started crowing within a couple months and were taken away.
In October (6.5 mos old) one of the hens started crowing and had to go. Recently (8 mos old) another one started. These were definitely girls and I have no rooster.

I've read that this happens but got the impression that it was more rare than 2/12 at less than a year old. Is this something unique to sebrights? Maybe because they're a little more "gamey"?

If they keep up like this I'll be out of chickens by springtime! :barnie

I read about someone who had a Sebright crow when she laid an egg. See Post #43559 below for her video. In an earlier post she said her golden sebright girls were more chatty & crowed more frequently than the silvers.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/730582/indiana-bycers-here/43550#post_15886060

So far mine is chatty but not thankfully not crowing. Here's a pic from today of the 2 BFFs. We got several inches of snow over the weekend. (1st of the season.) My chickens are wimps & stayed inside their covered run. These little pullets were the smartest. They decided to sun themselves on the upper roost.

They'll be 22 weeks on Wed. Hoping for an egg by Christmas.

What a couple of cuties, they definitely have the right idea about snow avoidance.

Thanks for the video link, that looked terribly familiar. If mine had just crowed a couple times after laying it would probably have been ok but she had worked herself up to series of crows pretty much all day. I didn't want to risk that with the neighbors.

I just hope that someone else doesn't decide to start in a month. :/

Back
Top Bottom