Chicken Breed Focus - Swedish Flower Hen

LOL I justify mine by I want them HA! My kid hates my chickens because its chores for her lol! She will like a few fluffy babies for about TWO DAYS then she's over it HA!
Ya, who can blame a kid... I don't like chores either!
hide.gif

You should put your basic location in your profile so people can respond more accurately and faster if you have future questions.
wink.png

It started with the finger swelling and then a week or so later the ankle.
His roost is a little high and it jumps down onto hard wood.
Will try to block it off for him. It did cross my mind.

Gout maybe? He doesn't walk around like he's drunk though.

It started with the finger swelling and then a week or so later the ankle.
His roost is a little high and it jumps down onto hard wood.
Will try to block it off for him. It did cross my mind.

Gout maybe? He doesn't walk around like he's drunk though.
I have a ramp to the higher roost so those who want can use it. And a softer landing would be nice. I use sand in my coop. Which does hurt less than hard dirt (experience crashing my quad), i don't know about wood. But shavings could be an option. Though if it was a twist or crash I don't know if that would have changed it. I just mean from regular landing.

Gout is also a possibility. Do you feed layer? Way to high in calcium for cockerels, chicks, roosters and molting hens. It can be one cause of gout and also lead to kidney damage. Doesn't mean it will happen to everyone! But it can especially if they are predisposed for some reason. Plenty of people do feed layer to their boys and don't have problems that they know of. But not sure how many had necropsies done to know the cause of death. At least one I have read on here.
hmm.png

I use flock raiser and oyster shell on the side because I have both genders and all stages so it isn't worth the risk to me.

DO people with gout walk around like they are drunk? I thought they would walk around like they were in pain.
hu.gif

Im hopefully
fl.gif
picking up Swedish Flower tomorrow. Only problem they are sold straight run. Any tips for a newbie to help increase my odds of picking a hen? Can't really keep roosters here. And I think they said they are Rees Swedish Flower hens??? no idea what that is if anyone can clue me in? Thanks!

Here is my Swedish flower I just got today. I am praying it's a hen. Can anyone take a guess to what color she will be when feathered out?

The one on the left. The chick on right is a cream legbar pullet

Thanks

Here is my Swedish flower I just got today. I am praying it's a hen. Can anyone take a guess to what color she will be when feathered out?

Thanks
this chick looked like yours at hatch. Yours is a little lighter though so may be the blue version

Thanks

The absolute best part about the SFH, to me, is watching and seeing the color develop over time. I swear, I'd go out everyday and be amazed at the changes the ladies went through. I don't know that you could guess at color this early though, I'm sure it'll be beautiful.
263a.png

Back
Top Bottom