Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

I have a Silver Laced, White, Columbian and Gold Laced Wyandottes! I want one of each variety! Love their heart shaped bodies!
Welcom to BYC! Sounds like a lovely flock. I would love some of each as well but only have blue laced reds at the moment. Next spring i will add sone lavenders as well. There is a breeder near me who just started offering lavenders

Ah I thought so! We just got one and I'm tryig to imagine what she'll look like when she's older
This is Stella. Your lady should look something like this.
Be warned, they take forever to start laying and even longer for that comb to fully develop but its well worth the wait. Mine didnt lay until 37 weeks but is my favorite hen. Shes so much smarter than all the others in my mixed flock. I was able to train her to fly up on my arm when her name is called. And forget trying to keep them from flying. Clipping her wing did nothing but fortunatly shes smart enough not to go over the fence

This is Stella. Your lady should look something like this.

Be warned, they take forever to start laying and even longer for that comb to fully develop but its well worth the wait. Mine didnt lay until 37 weeks but is my favorite hen. Shes so much smarter than all the others in my mixed flock. I was able to train her to fly up on my arm when her name is called. And forget trying to keep them from flying. Clipping her wing did nothing but fortunatly shes smart enough not to go over the fence
37 weeks!? Wow. She was born on 9/9/2016 so that means she'll lay her first egg on May the 19th, 2017! I hope some of our other chickens are laying regularly before then so we can get off supermarket eggs soon.
She is a beautiful bird, good to hear about the intelligence too.

I've got 5 bantam Wyandottes: 1 Partridge cockerel, 1 Partridge pullet, 1 Silver pencilled pullet and 2 Silver Laced pullets. They are really hardy, great layers, good mothers and stunning show birds. I'll try and post some pictures.

I have two silver laced. They are great layers, started at around 21 weeks and lay almost every day! I chose them for their winter hardiness and beautiful plumage, along with their egg laying capabilities
2764.png
They're not overly friendly and are at the top of the pecking order under my rooster ;) Oh and no, they don't wander far at all :)

Last edited:
Does anybody have any anecdotes related to the point above saying they don't range very far?
Our chickens seldom go over to our neighbour's garden, and my neighbour says it doesn't bother him or his wife because they don't go outside much. However our chickens are young, and will range further and further. If I could have a one-to-one with the Super Blue Egg Layer leader, I would ask he to stop leading the others under the fence for off property forages.

Of course I could always put netting on the fence, but we're in this for the long haul, perhaps we would stick to Wyandottes if they are the type of bird that don't ever venture further than an acre or so. 

I think it really depends on the bird. Our silver laced wyandotte doesn't go far. I think she can't fly well because she carries her weight in her breast.

Back
Top Bottom