Chicken breed

GertieBird

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Triad of NC
Hey all! I'm brand new to this site, and really new to chickens. Just started our flock in February!! And, unbelievably, since then I have rescued 2 chickens off the side of the highway!! :eek: The most recent full-sized/full grown bird (rescued this past Saturday) is completely white (white skin) with no sign of comb or wattle...red flesh on the face, and no obvious earlobes/tufts. Light grey legs, and the claws are missing on all but the 'thumbs'. Also, he/she has small, stubby spurs (no crowing yet). I will try and post a pic tomorrow...The bird seems very afraid (hisses & pecks at us), but I think let us catch it easily because it was hurt and quite weak. I am presuming this bird is a chicken....although it hasn't made definitive chicken-sounding noises. Again, I will try and post a pic tomorrow, although my camera is about 1 megapixel...hopefully you'll be able to tell what it might be!! Thanks in advance!!

welcome-byc.gif
, Welcome.. the way you described it, it sounds pretty interesting..

Where do you live? Birds are found on the side of the highways all the time around here. They fall off the chicken trucks headed to Tyson's processing plant.
Basically the same type of bird you described and they are cornish Xs.
Welcome to BYC.

Are you serious?
lol.png
I'm dictating these replies to my husband....we considered that the bird doesn't quite look like a chicken, but could not find pics of pheasants that matched either. Do pheasants come white? (Well, duh, I guess). My husband laughed when I read your responses and promptly asked "Do pheasants lay eggs?"
lol.png
DOes anyone know how to tell the sex of this bird?

Thanks for all your info! I'm having a great time on this site...and learning SO much!

Back
Top Bottom