Chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay longer

Hello! I am expanding my flock of chickens and will be getting chicks this spring, I want chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay for longer. I also want chicken breeds with less health issues. Thank you for any recommendations!
Don’t get ISA brown or red star. I would recommend a Red Cross (it’s a mix between a road island and a New Hampshire red). Buff Orphaning’s don’t lay after about 3 years but I have found them to have few health issues and are also super sweet, they also look out for new babies and protect them from older meaner birds. Austrolorp’s are also a good choice! So are Wyandotte’s (Silver gold or blue)!

My $.02, for what it’s worth:

Wouldn’t recommend the RIR/New Hampshire Red Cross. AT ALL. I bought some in 2019 and half have gotten sick and/or died of reproductive issues. Which is too bad since they’ve got great personalities.

EEs are neat; mine are not that old, so can’t comment on longevity and/or laying ability past about a year. They’re pretty heat tolerant. The ones I got from Cackle hatchery are the friendliest birds in my flock.

I have a Delaware (only one) that’s 7; she laid fairly well until she was 5-6. I definitely plan on adding more Delawares to my flock in the future; that’s probably the breed I’d recommend for you, though my experience has only been with one hen. I’ve got one ISA brown type of the same age, she stopped laying around the same age as the Delaware. I know we’ve had barred rocks and buff Orpingtons live quite a while. Don’t remember how well they laid after a couple years though.

My Andalusian is just coming into lay (she’s been laying about a month). She’s been prolific thus far but she’s really flighty. And that’s in spite of the fact that I handle my birds. A Lot. She likes to escape directly over a 4 foot fence despite having her wing clipped.

Can’t comment too much on the Welsummers, my one pullet hasn’t started laying yet (same hatch date as the Andalusian). She’s somewhat friendly, though.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up. I’m just a backyard chicken keeper but as such I definitely have a preference for chickens that may not lay quite as prolifically but will lay for longer.

My one EE is not laying right now, hasn't laid in a while and she is about 3 years old. So I don't know if she will be laying again or not, maybe it's the cold weather.
My two took 3 yr old EEs a 3 month break after they molted in the fall but finally started laying again. I'm in the southwest, so it's dang cold at night but pleasant during the day, it might take them longer somewhere colder.

I’ve had Wellsummers years,they lay still,at 4 years.Mine scream when laying egg,they are too big for the smaller boned frame.
friendly,jump on lap.Some asking to be pick up.
Flighty when younger.Very good Flyers.
good in heat, Mine do not like snow.Their feet seem to hurt,and feel coldEr then my other breeds.Save bags of leaves,for all the types of hens,put down to walk,over snow.

If you want a hearty bird that lays well and is heat tolerant try a Naked Neck (aka Turken)! I love my naked neck ladies! I have one hen that’s going on 4 years old and still laying like a champ although she has taken a longer break for winter this year.

There are too many breeds to choose from! I did look into Buckeyes not too long ago. I am definitely not getting any production breeds, I got 3 Isa browns a couple years ago and they all got sick and died. I will be getting EEs and will look into Delawares. I free range my chickens in a 4ft high chain link fence, so I might not want any Andalusians. I can only get about 10 more chickens to add to the flock, so I will not be able to get all of these breeds, unless I get 1 of each breed. :lol: I will definitely be getting Dominiques, EEs, and Welsummers.

My two took 3 yr old EEs a 3 month break after they molted in the fall but finally started laying again. I'm in the southwest, so it's dang cold at night but pleasant during the day, it might take them longer somewhere colder.
My EE just layed 5 eggs in the last week!

Back
Top Bottom