Chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay longer

Do you sell and ship your Brahmas? I want to get the best chicks I can find for the breeds I want. I will be getting Dominiques and EEs, but I'm still not sure what other breed I want.
I don't sell hatching eggs any longer. They don't lay regularly enough now to do that and keep table eggs for us here. I have raised Barred Plymouth Rocks in both hatchery descended and two very good breeder lines, but they are also quite old now. I found that they were excellent layers, but for cold climates, you can't beat the Brahmas because of their pea combs and feathered legs as well as body size.

I think I will get some Andalusians. Are all online hatcheries selling out? I have added the chickens I want to my cart on different online hatcheries to see the shipping dates, and some wouldn't ship until May! Is it like this every year? I also have never ordered chicks online.

I think I will get some Andalusians. Are all online hatcheries selling out? I have added the chickens I want to my cart on different online hatcheries to see the shipping dates, and some wouldn't ship until May! Is it like this every year? I also have never ordered chicks online.
This year, there were a few breeds I wanted that were sold out right after New Years. I think a lot of people started ordering early because of Covid. Last year I picked up chicks from a local guy, but he didn’t have a minimum 1 per breed so I went with mail order this year.

Sexlinked chicks means they are bred so the female chicks down is a different color than the males. Makes it easy to tell them apart for untrained people. That only works on the first generation of chicks.
I have 2 white hens that are half ISA brown and half RIR. Same body size and laying habits as their mothers but didn't pick up any of the color genes from either parent. Don't really care as once my ISA browns start slacking on laying they going in the freezer and I'm going back to 100% RIR flock.
thank you very much for clearing things up for me.

You can find those qualities in about any breed, but you won't be likely to find it from a hatchery. Health and longevity are traits breeders breed for, but hatchery selection favors "early and often" laying.

Back
Top Bottom