Chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay longer

Honestly maybe get 1-2 of a bunch of different breeds & see who does the best. I think a variety is good…different season molting times and different winter laying patterns. ❤️

My EE is a fantastic girl "Beatrice." She lays consistently every other day, and her eggs are a beautiful blue/green. She quiet and docile and one of my favorite girls.

My Columbian Wyandotte pullet, "Dinah", she's not laying yet, but she's a very curious and friendly girl - fabulous little lady, I love her!

Honestly maybe get 1-2 of a bunch of different breeds & see who does the best. I think a variety is good…different season molting times and different winter laying patterns. ❤️

I certainly like a mixed flock. Not only for these reasons but also because it’s soooo much easier to keep tabs on each hen at a glance an know what everyone’s normal behavior is. The first of my RIR crosses to get sick … I knew something was wrong because she sat in a nest all day. I only knew it was the same hen because I’d memorized their combs to tell them apart. With a mixed flock I can much more easily tell who goes directly for breakfast, who’s the first one out of the coop, who’s out taking dust baths… the list goes on…

I have a completely mixed flock of seven - Easter Egger, Barred Rock, Columbian Wyandotte, Lavender Orpington, Buff Brahma, Black Copper Marans, Dark Brahma (Rooster)
I must say there's no confusion regarding eggs, behavior, or potential illness with my chickens. They get along just fine. In fact, I introduced four young pullets into coop with three hens right before snow started to fly in December with no incidents. My pullets aren't laying yet, and I don't expect until spring. (I consider myself lucky though - I've read stories of others having difficulties.)

Dominique are beautiful cold hardy heritage breed. Mine were smart and friendly. They did not lay daily but were long lived. I have some Plymouth Barred Rock now.
Some say they are also heritage, idk about that. They are similar to the Dominique in appearance but maybe not as smart, idk
Yet as They are young. Buff Orpington are a reliable layer and can become pets. They also are good mamas and will sit eggs 🍳 r
Take chicks if you put them to
The broody hen the right way. Best wishes

Well my post didn't show up, i redid it, then appear to have deleted them both.🤷🏻‍♀️. Dominique are cold hardy smart heritage birds that are friendly. They do What you want, are not all daily layers but lay a long time. Somw say Plymouth Barred Rock are also heritage. Mine are young, they may not be as smart lol
We Shall see. Buff Orpington are Consistent layers and So Friendly. They will also sit eggs and a broody hen will take chicks and raise them as a good mama if you put the chicks to her right. I had good results from
chickens for backyards as a supplier and also McMurray Hatchery.

Hello! I am expanding my flock of chickens and will be getting chicks this spring, I want chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay for longer. I also want chicken breeds with less health issues. Thank you for any recommendations!
Delawares, the best chickens I’ve ever had. mine lay about 5-7 days a week, but seasonal layers. And they’re super sweet and my fried breeds them. Hers have layer for 5 years a few for 6 years!

My bantam Wyandotte is 8 years old and still laying almost every day other than when she has decided to be broody. In her youth she would go broody multiple times over summer (I always left her to it, I never 'broke' her of being broody) and she would then come back into lay just as autumn was starting and so lay all winter for me. She did that for about 3 years which was awesome. Now that we can we have been hatching her offspring in the hopes of preserving those genes of laying longevity.

Her sister was also a very good layer but unfortunately hurt her leg last year and had to be put out of her misery.

I've had quite a few bantam breeds and they definitely lay for longer than the heavier breeds or the rarer breeds that have been more inbred.

In contrast my Houdans laid well for the first 2 years, tapered off after 3 and I get the very odd egg these days from one of them (they are also 8 years old). Same with my English Araucana and Orpingtons, although the Orpingtons have been slightly better due to being very broody.

One in particular would lay 10 eggs then go broody for 6 weeks, molt, lay another 10 eggs and go broody once more all summer long. So she laid for quite a few winters too but now isn't quite so broody, though she did play aunty and help out another hen with her brood of chicks. At 7 years old she still lays now and then.

I've had quite a few bantam breeds and they definitely lay for longer than the heavier breeds or the rarer breeds that have been more inbred.
So would bantams breeds be better to get than standard size? How often did your bantams lay eggs?

So would bantams breeds be better to get than standard size? How often did your bantams lay eggs?
We have Old English Game bantams, Wyandotte bantams and Belgian Booted bantams and they give 4-6 eggs a week per bird, though a few of our older girls have slowed down now. Even my husband prefers the bantams (and he doesn't even like chickens) - they are just so little and cute, and they do produce more eggs on a lot less food, especially compared to the heavy breeds of chickens. The Wyandotte bantams give a pretty large egg for a bantam too. They do like to go broody though, so that's something to keep in mind, but if you have enough chickens you are never short of eggs.

Ours free range other than being locked up at night because there are very few predators to worry about where I am. Our coops are in a stand of trees and the chickens mostly stay under the safety of them as hawks are our biggest concern. But, being smaller, they don't need as big a coop and run if you do need to contain them.

I especially like the bantams for the kids as they are easier to handle, some can be taught to jump up and perch on your arm, and they don't peck holes in your hands when you feed them treats. So I am a little bit biased. It depends on if they appeal to you, if you think they will do well in your climate (think about potential predators), and if you don't mind using 2-3 eggs in place of one big egg when baking/making breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom