Chicken brooder

CHRISNDAWN

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Southeast va
Ok now that those finally loaded I can show the pictures of the brooder that I built for our new arrivals coming on Friday.

I copied this from https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/amferro103s-homemade-chicken-brooder. I wish I could take credit for it but I just wasn't feeling like re-inventing the wheel so to speak. I did make a few very minor modifications to this mostly in the manner of construction. Like the original it is a two piece design for easy of cleaning and storage and what not.

view of the fram from the front

Here is a side view notice the frame is assembled with kreg pocket joint screws. I find these to invaluable to speed things up and make nice solid joint there is also wood glue inbetween every joint for added strength.

back side

top and side

side view with overall dimension 36"

length is 60"

somewhat better close up

top frame to access lid 19"

slightly closer view

horizontal measurement from front below door

from front vertical rail by door to rear vertical

overall hieght

the box that the fram cage sits in

another view its 5/6th of box woohoo

close up of the kreg pocket joints. I cannot stress just how much I like this simple tool

inside of box

and another I snapped a lot of photos and threw them all in

overall outside dimension is 61" by 37" inside is 60" by 36"

close up

inside height is 14"

outside is 14.5"

Everything fits nice and snug

full length strap / piano hinge for strength. Notice where the lid secures to the front horizontal member I added two screws counter sunk to prevent it from twisting just a little added security

with the door open

all screened in with 1/2" hardware cloth I used one 36" by 10' roll to screen the whole thing.

Total of materials. 2 4' by 8" plywood sheets, 8 2x2's (1.5" by 1.5" one side is slightly larger make noter during layout or it will not fit snug) also make sure that pay attention to your boards when you cut. 8 is enough but i got carried away and did not have one piece long enough for the lid ended up ripping an old 2x4 to complete. and a handfull of the kreg 1.5" pocket hole screws. thanks for looking.

UPDATE: We got the call a day early that our Chicks had arrived
yesss.gif
. What Beauties they are! Here are a few pictures of them in their new home enjoy

Back
Top Bottom