Chicken bullying?

kmurray2501

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
The school that I work for has 7 hens, we have been to feed them this morning and found that one seemed very unwell. They have been kept in their coop due to the bird flu rules and haven’t had their full outdoor run. She has bald spots from her head all down her back and on her legs, her comb and wattles are very pale and she wasn’t attempting to eat or drink. We have brought her home (as we have 4 chickens) and placed her in a separate area. I saw her once open her beak and a liquid came out. Over the last few hours she has perked up and has been walking around, eating and drinking. Is this just a severe case of bullying amongst the hens or is the cause something worse? I have attached photos of her condition, would be very grateful if anyone has recommendations for how to help her feathers grow back, and if we are best integrating her with our hens instead of sending her back to school. Thank you in advance.
1BC672C3-E2CE-4289-A8A9-4A892797D388.jpeg
BBE58712-2193-4CA8-B85A-1E45F123393A.jpeg
681BE2EC-2606-4726-9A59-4A0D719DF62C.jpeg
31276A11-111D-4E77-8B79-648E5E38DB45.jpeg

When chickens are kept in too close of quarters and don’t get outside to roam around, they can begin to feather pick each other. That can lead to vent pecking and cannibalism. It is good that you have brought her home, but keep her quarantined for a month from your birds in case she has something wrong.

How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy/soft? Check it again first thing in the morning before she eats and drinks to make sure that it is empty. What did the liquid she spit up look like? She might have a crop disorder if her crop is not emptying by morning. Smell her breath for a bad or sour odor when you gently press on her crop.

It can take until her next yearly big molt until her missing feathers will grow in. What are you feeding? She may need a little extra protein. Has there been AI in your area this spring?

Like mentioned above I don't think its a straight 'bully just to bully' situation. Chickens have a very brutal social system and often times weak, odd and sick birds are singled out so they can be effectively 'removed' from the main flock. Based on what you described, what's your coop/run dimensions and total/breeds that live together? I'd also give her a full looky over for possible mites and/or other creepy crawlies that love poultry. Her feathers will only grow back twice a year during periods when they molt so you maybe stuck with the feather loss for some time.

I just don't feel keeping them penned up in a coop to avoid AF is a great idea unless you have adequate space. Plus, there are many things you can do as a preventative. Having said that, its awesome you're being so responsible with your ladies and safe guarding them~

Thank you all for your responses. We did suspect it was due to overcrowding, I am not the one who usually cares for them at school, the headteacher believes it’s best for them to be kept in but on the government map of bird flu cases there is none in our area (Staffordshire), maybe it’ll be best to give them the outdoor space again. The coop is approximately 5 foot by 10 foot for 7 mixed breed chickens. Our coop at home is slightly larger but we have less birds (4 that are also mixed breeds)

The liquid was a bit of a yellow colour. It was a small amount and she continued eating after.

I’m not too sure what I’m looking for but her crop feels slightly squishy - I assume this is normal as it feels the same as my other girls who are healthy and laying.

I have attached a picture of the food they are on. How can I provide her with extra protein? And when do chickens usually have their yearly molt or does it depend on their living conditions and breed? Thanks again.
24A5124F-F063-4637-B6C0-8EEB530819D4.jpeg

We have also dusted her and her separate area with some mite powder since she’s come home just in case 👍

Update on our little baldy! She now lives with us instead of with the chickens at school. It took a few weeks to integrate her but she’s getting on well with our girls now. Feathers are growing back and eggs are being layed. She’s a happy hen again 👍
C08DCCD1-17CA-42EC-BF0B-26E04A3D025F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom