Chicken bumblefoot surgery mistake?

thinkfreee5

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
Hi! I'm new here, looking for some insight on a bumblefoot operation performed last night. I have a chicken that had a VERY bad infection. By the time I noticed it, it was pretty far along. I did my best to go the non-invasive route with Epsom salt soaks and Prid drawing salve, but it seemed to only get worse. I decided "surgery" would be the best route to take at this point, so I did that last night. Now she is not closing her foot at all. Obviously it probably hurts like heck and is bandaged up so I thought maybe that would be the reason, but it's looking less like she doesn't want to close it, but that she can't. A little concerned I may have hit something important when I made the incision.

Anyone have thoughts here? Experiences? Advice?

Thanks!

**Can include photos if needed, though they are pretty gruesome.**

Pictures would help! If it had gotten really bad, then it may just hurt just because of the actual surgery and not because you hit anything.

When the foot is wrapped up after the surgery, they simply cant close their feet/toes until the dressing is removed. I recommend that you leave it alone and let the wound heal. Remove the wrapping in about 4 days. You should see that the wound is healing or completely healed if it was minor surgery.
Otherwise, put Neosporin on the gauze and/or the wound and rewrap it. Wait 5 days and remove the gauze and it should be completely healed.

1686327937990.png

When the foot is wrapped up after the surgery, they simply cant close their feet/toes until the dressing is removed. I recommend that you leave it alone and let the wound heal. Remove the wrapping in about 4 days. You should see that the wound is healing or completely healed if it was minor surgery.
Otherwise, put Neosporin on the gauze and/or the wound and rewrap it. Wait 5 days and remove the gauze and it should be completely healed.
Thank you! I would think that too, but the other foot had a scrape so I've been wrapping that one with a little Neosporin to help it heal/not become infected. It has the same amount of dressing but she can close her foot just fine on that side.

When I put a little pressure on the toes on the surgery foot, there is absolutely no push back, just completely relaxed like it's unable to function at all.

Ouch! I would keep the wound filled with a disinfectant cream and change the wrap about once a day. Here is my personal favorite for wounds-
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-rescue-gel-24-ppm/
It's expensive, but extremely effective. I would also just give the foot time to rest and heal. The more she can stay off of it these first few days the better.
I will definitely look into that. I have been cleaning with betadine and spraying with Vetericyn, then applying plain Neosporin without the pain relief ingredients. I never thought of Silver or that it would be pet safe, I bet that's a great treatment!

I will definitely look into that. I have been cleaning with betadine and spraying with Vetericyn, then applying plain Neosporin without the pain relief ingredients. I never thought of Silver or that it would be pet safe, I bet that's a great treatment!
It sounds like what you're treating with is good, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. Keep me updated on how she is!

That's a humdinger for sure! I'm not surprised she's not closing her foot. This kind of wound will take time to heal -maybe a month or two. For optimum healing she needs oral antibiotics along with pain medication. A veterinary visit would be her best option. This wound will need to be kept clean and dry which means she needs to stay in a hospital cage with clean bedding. I've used a nylon puppy playpen to keep injured chickens in and it works quite well. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom