chicken cannibalism

I just read this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3832

Now they are talking about adding babies to older ones, but there were a few ideas floating in here that sounded like it may also work for YOUR situation. Split the pen with chicken wire. The attacking speckleds on one side and all the rest on the other.
Check it out.
smile.png

The guy at my feed store *seems* knowledgeable about hens and roos.

He taught me how to sex chicks and so far, it hasn't been wrong...SO...I'll share with you what he told me to do when chickens peck each other like yours are.

Feed them some raw hamburger meat.

He said for some reason, after they get a taste of raw hamburger meat, they lay off each other.

It's worth a shot and I'd love to hear how it turns out...I've never had this arise to try it yet.

Kristi

thanks for all of the info. We will try different things and see what happens. I am going to let the ones heal and then try putting them back in with the rest and taking out the speckled.

Anyone know what kind of chickens we have by the pictures I posted?

Hmm, I think I see a barred rock (black and white striped). The speckled ones (I THINK) are speckled sussex. I'm not sure of that black and gold one or the all black ones.
hmm.png

Thanks...that is more information than I have at the moment. The guy at the feed store just told us they were brown egg layers some with feathers on their feet and some without. Real informative!!

Things seem to be settling down. I have 5 isolated and they are looking better....not so bloody and the one without the tail is looking better as well. It seems to be the majority of the speckled and the ones with any kind of white on them that are being mean. The exception to that is one of the smaller speckled with swollen joint and the one speckled in the picture by itself that is pretty friendly with me. That one and a couple of the blacks with gold are the only ones that will let me "pet" them.

Is there anything that I can do for the one with a swollen joint. It came that way and it won't put weight on it.

Swollen joints can be caused by a number of things...accidents, inadequate nutrition, lack of vitamins, a slippery surface, bacteria, virus, infections.

You can use a homeopathic remedy called Thuja Occidentalis. That may help the swelling go down.

Is it's footpads swollen too? Is it acting abnormal (like not eating) or have fetid watery diarrhea? That can be caused by Staph.
sad.png
That would require immediate removal from the others and either a course of antibiotics or culling.
hmm.png

I'd recommend a vet visit.

I went ahead and moved them in. We are expecting thunderstorms and there is no way for me to run a heat lamp out there so I put them in some dog kennel cages in the garage.

Your speckled ones could be sex-links or barred rocks. I have 2 (Black Sex-Links) and one of them is MEAN!! I've had to separate her from the rest She's super nice to me, but she pecks every other chicken I have to a bloody pulp. My only hope is that when everyone else catches up to her in size, she wont be so bold.
I'd venture a guess at them being 6 weeks old, btw. My 4 week olds have about 50% feathers/50% fuzz.

Good luck with them and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom