Chicken can't lift up her head

Suzilla Bean

Songster
7 Years
Jun 25, 2015
My silkie is very lethargic, can't lift up her head, and can't walk straight. The area below her tail is encrusted with green fecal matter. She's emitting tiny clucking noises, much lower than her regular voice. I've tried to tempt her with snacks, but doesn't want to eat. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with her and, most importantly, what can I do to help?

What color is her comb and wattles? Check her ears for infection, make sure she's not egg bound, look in her mouth for any growths, and check her crop. What do you feed and when did she start feeling unwell?

What color is her comb and wattles? Check her ears for infection, make sure she's not egg bound, look in her mouth for any growths, and check her crop. What do you feed and when did she start feeling unwell?
She looks the same as she always does. Her eyes are clear, and there's nothing oozing out of her ears. The color of her comb and eyes hasn't changed, unlike the color of her fecal matter.

I can't claim to speak chicken nor understand how chickens think, but I know how Buttercup normally behaves. Unfortunately, I didn't think much about her new "neediness." She kept following me around her run, walking circles around my feet while I checked her food and water, then stood in front of the run door to keep me from leaving since Monday. Yesterday, she gave me more cause for concern-- she didn't want to eat her favorite snack. That's when I knew something was wrong. This morning is when the symptoms became obvious.

She looks the same as she always does. Her eyes are clear, and there's nothing oozing out of her ears. The color of her comb and eyes hasn't changed, unlike the color of her fecal matter.

I can't claim to speak chicken nor understand how chickens think, but I know how Buttercup normally behaves. Unfortunately, I didn't think much about her new "neediness." She kept following me around her run, walking circles around my feet while I checked her food and water, then stood in front of the run door to keep me from leaving since Monday. Yesterday, she gave me more cause for concern-- she didn't want to eat her favorite snack. That's when I knew something was wrong. This morning is when the symptoms became obvious.
I would start feeding her the yogurt, eggs, water, and acv. This stuff is also good for helping heal ilnesses. Expensive, but extremely effective.
https://www.naturessunshine.com/product/silver-shield-w-aqua-sol-20-ppm/

I had to put her down. It was the first time that I had to euthanize one of my chickens. I know that it's something I'm going to have to do as a responsible pet owner, but it didn't make it any easier.

I had to put her down. It was the first time that I had to euthanize one of my chickens. I know that it's something I'm going to have to do as a responsible pet owner, but it didn't make it any easier.
I'm so sorry! I wonder if she may have had Marek's? It's never easy happening to put a pet down, but you should be proud of yourself for being able to judge when an animal needs compassion in the way of euthanizing, and then acting on it. I'm sure she had a great life because of a great caretaker! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom