Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Are you all set to start tubing? If so, I think you're probably a little nervous about this. So I would begin with a little of the warmed ringers. A fourth of a cup of fluid is about right for most chickens. This will get you both comfortable with the procedure.

After that, both of you rest for half an hour. Then check her crop to see how full it is. My rule of thumb is that most crops on standard size chickens will hold half a cup. So you may safely tube a fourth of a cup of baby bird mix into the crop for this second session. I wait a couple hours and do another feeding if the crop has emptied. Always check the fullness of the crop before tubing anything into a chicken.

The chicken may react to the crop filling by suddenly squirming. Pause until she settles down, but check to be sure her crop isn't already full. Usually, this procedure is well tolerated, and the chicken has a feeling of contentment as you fill the crop. Just be sure not to overfill.

My mom got Ethel about 2 yrs ago and she wasn't a chick but said to have been under a yr old, so she could very well be 3 or close to that.
She had her 2nd feeding today. Still no poop or pee since the fluids last night. Her crop was empty when I gave her the 2nd feeding today. She seems to be getting a bit more talkative (while we are holding and feeding her) and seems to have a little bit more energy.
We also dusted her with the permethrin powder (carefully to avoid her inhaling any). I'm curious if lice and mites tend to infest the sick animals more so than the healthy? I'm asking because my husband checked one of her other hens and didn't find any. I'm sure there are some since they shared a coup but it definitely doesn't appear to be infested like Ethel is.
I guess at this point I am concerned about the lack of poop and pee.
As much as I am hoping for her to recover, I know it may not turn out that way, and if it doesn't , I will let her go.
Any thoughts on how long I should continue this before deciding she isn't going to recover? I know she will tell me, I know that too well from my past dogs and cats, just wondering how long a recovery can take (I do realize it can be different for each hen). 🙏

I knew when you didn't post an update Monday that the news probably wasn't good. Take your time in posting an update; it can wait until you feel better about doing so. Just know that you and Ethel are in our thoughts. :hugs

https://photos.app.goo.gl/629zkmouMYXsFp8m6

So the link above is a recording of my conversation with the doctor after he did his exam on Ethel. He basically said that her prognosis for recovery is zero. He says she has zero muscle mass left and he suspects a tumor of some sort pushing her organs down towards her vent. He mentioned she was open mouth breathing but that is not something I have ever witnessed her doing since I have had her here. I'm not one to give up easily on any animal, but I also don't want to let her suffer. She has continued to improve pretty much every day since I started her on the vitamins. She is actually trying to stand on her own but can't quite get there. Today when my husband took her outside and set her on the ground, she actually tried to stand up and got one step forward before falling back down. And she is not falling over to the side like she was previously. I don't know if there is such a thing as doing physical therapy on a chicken to try to rebuild her muscle, but if that's possible I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes. I know she's probably already 3 years old and doesn't have a long life left, but if she can pull through this I'd like to give her the best life I can for her last few years. If anyone reading this can give me even a glimmer of hope than I will continue but if the consensus is that she is probably suffering and just not showing it then I will have to consider letting her go.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/629zkmouMYXsFp8m6

So the link above is a recording of my conversation with the doctor after he did his exam on Ethel. He basically said that her prognosis for recovery is zero. He says she has zero muscle mass left and he suspects a tumor of some sort pushing her organs down towards her vent. He mentioned she was open mouth breathing but that is not something I have ever witnessed her doing since I have had her here. I'm not one to give up easily on any animal, but I also don't want to let her suffer. She has continued to improve pretty much every day since I started her on the vitamins. She is actually trying to stand on her own but can't quite get there. Today when my husband took her outside and set her on the ground, she actually tried to stand up and got one step forward before falling back down. And she is not falling over to the side like she was previously. I don't know if there is such a thing as doing physical therapy on a chicken to try to rebuild her muscle, but if that's possible I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes. I know she's probably already 3 years old and doesn't have a long life left, but if she can pull through this I'd like to give her the best life I can for her last few years. If anyone reading this can give me even a glimmer of hope than I will continue but if the consensus is that she is probably suffering and just not showing it then I will have to consider letting her go.
I'm at work, so I can't open the link without alerting everyone that I'm off task - lol

First, let me express my sympathy. It is so hard when our pets are ill, and chickens are so good at hiding whatever is amiss with them. And a lot of folks dismiss chickens as "just chickens" when they are more than that to many of us.

Now, let me tell you that you're not alone. I have a hen in the EXACT same predicament. I have long suspected tumors, so I am not super surprised to read that, unfortunately.

Here's what I am doing with my immobile hen (4.5 year old Orpington):
  • Tube feeding 4x-5x a day
  • I'm continuing vit B complex and vit E, though I am not sure why at this point
  • She's outside in a sectioned off area of the run with my Cochin, who won't pick on her, but she can see the rest of the flock
  • I bring her in at night to feed and tend to her, and take her back out in the morning so she can be in the run while I am at work
  • I ordered a chair for her
I plan to continue this until she shows signs of illness beyond just not walking. Right now, her crop is functioning as per normal and she's alert and talkative. Once she starts to become lethargic, I will have her put down.

I have just listened to the conversation, thank you for posting- it was very helpful and informative to hear what the vet had to say first hand. I commend you for sharing that with all of us here. It was a very clever idea to do so, I have never thought of that and will be using that feature on my phone in my future vet visits. I want to extend my sympathies for what you are going through, I whole heartedly agree with Aunt Angus that these wonderful birds and more than just that to us. They are providers, entertainers, companions and well.. 6 pounds of feathers, fluff and love most of all.

Regarding your visit with the vet, he was very knowledgeable and kind, I was happy to hear that and also happy to know that you have someone so compassionate in your area for your hens.

Obviously you want to make sure nothing she has with threaten the rest of the flock, with that being said, I know it is not easy making such a decision for a flock mate or family member (I have had to do it many a times by myself- it never gets easy)

If I were you, I would continue to do what you are doing for her in the short term. She has hope and that is because of you and your husband. I would then take it one day at a time monitoring her symptoms and quality of life. She will let you know when it is time, and I think she wants to spend a little more time on this earth with you trying to eat that egg!

This way you can assess and truly make the decision that is best for her, you, her flock mates and her family.

I wonder if you would be able to get that PCR Marecks test another wrote about?

Thank you truly for sharing, and I hope that others will chime in here supporting you and sweet Ethel as always.

We are all routing for you! It is not easy and you are doing great!

❤️

I'm at work, so I can't open the link without alerting everyone that I'm off task - lol

First, let me express my sympathy. It is so hard when our pets are ill, and chickens are so good at hiding whatever is amiss with them. And a lot of folks dismiss chickens as "just chickens" when they are more than that to many of us.

Now, let me tell you that you're not alone. I have a hen in the EXACT same predicament. I have long suspected tumors, so I am not super surprised to read that, unfortunately.

• I'm continuing vit B complex and vit E, though I am not sure why at this point
  • She's outside in a sectioned off area of the run with my Cochin, who won't pick on her, but she can see the rest of the flock
  • I bring her in at night to feed and tend to her, and take her back out in the morning so she can be in the run while I am at work
  • I ordered a chair for her
I plan to continue this until she shows signs of illness beyond just not walking. Right now, her crop is functioning as per normal and she's alert and talkative. Once she starts to become lethargic, I will have her put down.
How long has it been since she became unable to stand/walk? How long have you been treating her with the vitamins? As much as she has improved since we started the vitamins which was Jan 27th, so in less than 2 weeks she has gained so much energy I just can't stand the thought of calling it quits.

I listened to the entire consultation with your vet. He sounds very knowledgeable and practical, and I was glad to hear him say you have made a heroic effort in doing all you could to help her recover. (It's amazing that you knew nothing about chickens when you took Ethel under your care.)

The dilemma is that although Ethel's days are surely numbered, you have said she continues to show daily improvement under your care, and your vet acknowledged she was alert and looking around on the exam table. Physical therapy for chickens is a thing, but that doesn't address the large mass in her abdomen or why she became unable to walk in the first place. When to let her go is entirely up to you, and no one else but you can make that final decision. But as long as you feel she has some quality of life and is not unduly suffering, I see no harm in taking it day to day. When she is ready to let go, she will let you know. When that time comes, I was also glad to hear you discuss with the vet that you can drive her directly to your state lab for testing. Whatever is going on that will eventually end Ethel's life, I assure you that a necropsy will allow you peace in knowing.
I will tag @azygous @Wyorp Rock @TwoCrows @coach723 @Eggcessive for their input after they listen to your vet consult.

How long has it been since she became unable to stand/walk? How long have you been treating her with the vitamins? As much as she has improved since we started the vitamins which was Jan 27th, so in less than 2 weeks she has gained so much energy I just can't stand the thought of calling it quits.
December 28th.

I feel the same way. My Poppy girl has perked up so much. Her color is great, too, and she feels strong everywhere but her legs.

• I ordered a chair for her.
TwoCrows has mentioned having done similiar long-term care for a hen she had that suffered a stroke. Azygous also undertook similiar care in hopes of saving a hen that became paralyzed. With Aunt Angus now weighing in, it is obvious that plenty of chicken tenders do their best to heal their chickens while at the same time maintaining the best quality of life possible, even though these individuals may often fly under the radar, so to speak.

Many of us have put enormous time and effort into the care of a bird at one time or another (or many times). The more invested you are, the harder it is to lose them. I've cried many a tear. I've spent more hours, days, weeks, months than I can count treating a particular rooster with severe bumblefoot, that guy has part of my heart. I will be beyond sad the day I eventually lose him, he's just turned 8 years old.
You can love them the same as you can love any other animal.
Your vet was awesome, I wish I had one as kind and compassionate about my birds.
I'm attaching a link below to a submission form for PCR testing (live bird) via mail for Marek's from a Texas lab, contact information is on the form if you want to speak to them and get particulars. Maybe your state has something similar.
As for when it's time to say good-bye, that is so much up to you. If you think she's happy, comfortable, and has some quality of life, then there is no rush. Having lost a fair number to various cancers, I can say that no two birds do exactly alike. Some last for quite some time and have decent quality of life for a while, some pass quickly or progress to obvious suffering and there is no doubt. Some of them are just troopers and so stoic, so it can be hard to know exactly how they are feeling in reality. I've had some that seemed to be doing alright, passed suddenly, and when the necropsy was done it was hard to believe they had lasted as long as they had once I saw inside. They are so good at hiding illness, it makes it very hard to know. I do think you will know when she's had enough though.
When the decision is difficult and painful I always ask myself if my reluctance is about me and my feelings, or for the bird. That question usually answers which way I should go. For mine with cancer, once they lose muscle mass and get weak, I've not had one bounce back. The weight loss also causes metabolic issues that can impact organ function. It's concerning that she won't eat on her own, but that she is still digesting is encouraging, mine always stop digesting at some point, the crop backs up. At that point it's just a matter of time, usually short. For therapy, a modified sling that you can hold her up with or hold like a marionette puppet, or that will hold her stationary on a kind of stand, can help give her some time outside on the grass for periods. She can use, or try to use her legs, and then rest when needed. Even if it doesn't bring much improvement to her movements, she may enjoy it and give her a little quality of life. People have made wheelchair type things out of pvc pipe for not a huge outlay of $$, do a search. I will attach a diagram of a sling made from pvc below.
:hugs
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom